Christmas Holidays Ideas

U

underthehill

I want to go on holidays over the Christmas Holidays taking in the New year as well. I would be travelling alone. Somewhere in Europe, any ideas

You need to be a it more specific to get constructive help with that.
Do you want a city break or a sunshine one etc?

wrote that in a hurry the sun, would be my first choice I was wondering about cruises as well at this minute cruiseship holidays would be my first choice. Would love to find out has anyone one gone on holidays during Christmas including Christmas Day and is it a good idea. I am not a seasoned traveller and just to make sure there no pitfall as such is one of the reasons I am posting, the pros and cons of taking a holiday at Christmas time . One of the things I'd imagine is everyone else is on holidays so the there would not be as much choice. Circumstances change and this year I am thinking of doing something new and going away for Christmas.

Hard to beat the Canaries and Ryanair and Aer Lingus both have good value to the various islands - Fuerteventura and Lanzarote probably nicest.

Is good value in these straitened economic times and one of the few places where can fly direct (one flight - less connection flight and volcano risk) and can leave at 6am and be on beach in the sun by afternoon (only a 5 hour flight).

One of few places in Europe where guaranteed sun at Christmas.

Getting tempted myself!!

I go Canaries every year for 2 weeks to get away from Xmass stuff here.
As a pointer, I book flights seperately, used to go AL but this year booked RA as prices were about half. For example, booked 2 weeks incl Xmass but back for NY for 180euo return including all changes and an extra bag - still available at that price. Booked accomodation seperate. Weather usually very good.

We spent Christmas in Lanzarote as a family and it was very quite we enjoyed it as we just went for walks and out for meals at night and enjoyed family time but I would think if you were on your own it might be a bit quite. There is not alot of sight seeing to do you can book a few day trips but as the island is small you wont have enough to keep you occupied if you want just somewhere quite to sit and read I'd definitely recomend it.

We have also gone skiing over Christmas and that is a holiday you would really enjoy on your own as you can join a group in a class and lots to do in the evening we had people in our class from 7 to 70 so it might be something you might think about.

thanks for replys this is the kind of infromation I am looking for. Will be sneaking a look at holiday sites in the next few hours.

Back