Christmas gifts for him...

casiopea

....so I thought Id start one for the men (or the women shopping for the men)

Im trying to put a christmas stocking together for my husband of small presents, so that on christmas day (we are actually spending christmas apart unfortunately) he'll have a couple of interesting gifts, so far for the stocking Ive come up with:

1. a suduko book
2. a gift voucher for a starbucks coffee (he's always complaining how expensive they are, so I thought it would be funny)
3. a book of hikes in the bernese auberland (in switzerland)
4. a voucher for lunch at one of the restaurants on at the summit of the hike.
5. a pot of Jam (he really likes irish strawberry jam)
6. a book on wine (this is only a maybe as the stocking is becoming a bit book heavy....)
7. bottle of bordeaux or some favourite wine
8. travel mastermind (having hard time to find this)
9. cow from

.....Im not too sure what else to include.....he's loads of CDs and DVDs so Im trying to avoid that, he doesnt like chocolate. I wouldnt mind one or two other small things. He's getting me concert tickets so I dont really want to get him that....I could get a shirt or something but its not that kind of present....any other suggestions ?

thx
cas

subscription to some monthly magazine... perhaps classic cars or something? I know I always look forward to a couple of hours read each month.

casiopea said:
...I could get a shirt or something but its not that kind of present...
Why, there's surely nothing a gentleman appreciates more than than his better half taking a 'charitable' interest in his appearance! :)

Playstation Portable
Xbox - New one
MP3 Player or ipod
Digital Camers or Camcorder
The Gadget shop in Jervis centre have some unusual/funny/handy things..worth a look.
Book a day or overnight trip to watch one of his fave footie teams play.
Then theres always the usual....aftershave, socks, ties, Shirts ,jeans ect!

A picture from the old historical Photography store (not 100% on the name) situated on the quays down past the ha'penny bridge. Its got really old photo's of towns from all over the country dating back as far as the turn of the last centuary. Always a good pressie.

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the great suggestions...

car said:
whats his interests? hobbies? sports?
mountain climbing, mountain biking, snowboarding, skiing, karate, interests anything science related. Not a football person, and has many magazines delivered every month (Im at him to cancel one or two). Regarding sports equipment he really has everything he needs, he works parttime for a mountain rescue organisation and is sponsored by mammoth (not too sure of the spelling its some sporting goods place) so gets a lot of stuff for free. The only thing I could get him in that area would be camping equipment...as his recently got stolen. So that is a thought. I like the historical photo idea Mr. Flapjack, Ill go in search of it thursday evening and Ill check out that gadget store in jervis st.
Thanks.

Some suggestions for the man who has everything!
This year I'm being treated to some very fine wood working tools from
www.fine-tools.com, not for your average DIYer I suppose but you won't buy this stuff in Homebase. Books are always a good buy I think, this year's favourites include John McGahern's Memoir, Eats Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss (still popular). Other books include a new book out on Isambard Kingdom Brunel or howabout the DVD "Downfall" fantastic film for anyone interested in history and Hitler's last weeks in Berlin. A bottle of good single malt whiskey is a nice gift too! Try Glenmorangie, Black Bush or Glenfiddich. Midleton is nice too but €100+ is probably a bit much to spend on a bottle! A bottle of Tawny Port and some fine cheeses are a nice touch also. A good cigar? Try a pack of Montecristo No. 4 , about €40 in Foxes- they are exquisite- especially if you only have them once a year. Any more thoughts for this brandy and cigar man?:D After all that excess a day spent hill walking together over the Christmas break would be ideal tonic.

Seeing as he likes to read and his interests include Karate and mountain climbing why dont you get him some good books on that subject in Easons or Chapters, i know he doesnt probally need to recieve "how to learn...?" books but stories from where they origionated and famous people in the arts....stuff like that. Again, depending on the budget you could book a hiking trip???

casiopea said:
Hi Guys,
mountain climbing, mountain biking, snowboarding, skiing, karate, interests anything science related.

handheld satellite navigation receiver or telescope with a copy of Bill Bryson's "A short history of nearly everything"

be very careful if buying GPS. there are lots of options and Ireland doesn't have great coverage... some maps beign worse than others.

Garmin would be a good brand for Ireland.

Back