Chq for 10,000usd how do I make the best of it

canthinkname

Hi all

I recently received a cheque for 10,000usd from an inheritance and am wondering how do I get the most money for it.

I have checked with my on line savings bank and they won't exchange or lodge it for me.

I know I can bring it to my bank where I have my current account but am wondering if I will get the best deal with them and also should I wait a while until the exchange rate changes.

Are there are any other options on offer to get a good rate of exchange for this money? Thanks

Are you based in Ireland?

If so, Anglo Irish Bank offer USD deposits at ok rates. The USD is weak v. the euro at the moment, but when it will strenghten is anyone's guess. And of course it could always go the other way.

hi am living in Ireland.

Do you not need to have an account in Anglo Irish Bank to change or lodge a cheque there?

Anyone know how long a cheque would stay valid for? It is dated end of May but only got it last week so I am presuming I have six months to decide what to do with it?

Do you not need to have an account in Anglo Irish Bank to change or lodge a cheque there?

Of course!

No charges-so no real issue with opening an account there in my view.

If the cheque was issued in the USA, you may have problems getting value for it in Ireland-I'm not 100% sure on that, but it can be difficult.