Choosing an office chair for home use...

Becca

I am interested in purchasing an office chair for use at home when using the pc.

I was wondering if anyone has tried chairs similar to these modern looking ergonomic chairs...
[broken link removed]

Or is it best to stay with more conventional chairs such as...
[broken link removed]

Are the ergonomic chairs more comfortable than the more conventional leather office chairs?

Main considerations are comfort and durability as I use the pc at home quite a lot.

If I want to enquire with a retailer about the durability of a leather office chair is there any way of comparing durability of the leather used between different retailers. Such as, is there a "trade standard" quality of leather which I should ask about?

Or if anyone wants to suggest a particular type of chair, I'd be interested in hearing about it...

Thanks for any info!

Hi Becca, I would be less inclined to worry about the look of the chair and focus more on the support it will give your back if you are planning to spend a lot of time in it. This site gives good pointers on what to look out for when choosing an office chair.
www.spine-health.com/topics/conserv/chair/chair01.html

i would say ergonomic all the way, me and my co workers have them, and a good one is pricey but totally worth it!

I am sitting on a chair the same as the one in the first link and would highly recommend it! And as far as I know they are over £600 new.

This site gives good pointers on what to look out for when choosing an office chair.
www.spine-health.com/topics/conserv/chair/chair01.html
Thanks for the link Whistler, I'll take a look at that now.

I am sitting on a chair the same as the one in the first link and would highly recommend it! And as far as I know they are over £600 new.
Hi Wonderwoman! Is your chair exactly the same one?

I've just been looking on some sites and there appear to be quite a few different brands done in this sort of ergonomic style.

Isn't there a shop in Wicklow St. that deals with backs and chairs. Can't remember the name just now and can't find it on Golden Pages. They might be able to give advice or let you try out some chairs. The shop is on the right when you are heading towards Grafton St. I thought it was called the Back Store.

For what it's worth, I bought a leather office chair from Atlantic Homecare (~€100) for my home office and it's 100 times more comfortable than the expensive, ergonomic, approved, individually adjusted, highly recommended etc., etc., thing I have at work!

Would personally be reluctant to buy an office chair on the internet, without having tried it out as we are all different shapes and have varying back support requirements. Would also think you can get a reasonable one for under 150euro

are they a copy of the Herman Miller 'Aeron' chairs?

I had a look at those Herman Miller 'Aeron' chairs on that website. I haven't heard of them before.

Though they don't appear to have any head support such as the one I linked to...

[broken link removed]

Is there a head-rest attachment for those Aeron chairs?

no head rest on the aeron chairs but they look like a copy of them. those aeron chairs are 560 ex vat! I bought one of the chairs off ebay on the basis that they look like an aeron copy and have everything i need. should arrive in a few days and i'll let you know what they're like.

Thanks OCD

I bought one of the chairs off ebay on the basis that they look like an aeron copy and have everything i need. should arrive in a few days and i'll let you know what they're like.
Is that the style of chair on eBay which I linked to above which you bought?
This type...
[broken link removed]

Thanks OCD

Is that the style of chair on eBay which I linked to above which you bought?
This type...
[broken link removed]

yep, the very one! sorry if that was unclear in my last post.

that ebay chair has all the functions of an aeron and after using an aeron for 6 months, it was the best chair i've ever used. i get stiff in the back a lot sitting in crap chairs and the aeron really helped. if the ebay one is as good (and it certainly has all the functions of the aeron, even down to the mesh backing), then i'll be buying another off ebay.

Hope it's as good as the aeron chair! Those aeron chairs seem quite expensive considering they don't even have a head rest...

Hope it's as good as the aeron chair! Those aeron chairs seem quite expensive considering they don't even have a head rest...

well, the aeron chair back is kind of high and a little more flexible so you can rest your head back if you want. to be honest, the head rest isn't really a big issue but the lower back support on an aeron is class and that ebay chair has the same mechanism so here's hoping!!

In our job, we were recently visted by a health specialst who advised on the suitability of the various office chairs.

Bottom line is that cost doesn't equate with comfort and a chair that might suit one person perfetcly might cause severe discomfort to another. The best bet is to get one that adjusts three ways - height, tilt (on the bit you sit on) and rear tension.

A good chair should support you in sitting with thighs exactly perpendicular to your calves with as much support for your back that allows you to sit comfortably with back comfortably supported (but not to the point of propelling you onto your desk!)

Aside from the one mentioned by Sueellen can anyone else recommend a good shop in Dublin or near it that sell a good range of office chairs? As mentioned by others, I'd like to sit on them to try them out first.

Aside from the one mentioned by Sueellen can anyone else recommend a good shop in Dublin or near it that sell a good range of office chairs? As mentioned by others, I'd like to sit on them to try them out first.

try Bizquip in Sandyford or MJ Flood in Citywest. no affiliation to either but I felt MJ Flood were a little more professional even though I was only planning on buying 2 chairs. Bizquip love you if you're spending loads but ignore you a lot if you're not. regardless, you can go to either to try out chairs. mj flood have the aeron chair, bizquip don't...just in case you were looking at that particular one mentioned above.

I got a chair from http://www.vikingdirect.ie

One tip - which drives the delivery guys crazy - is to avail of their return policy to try and then return - I tried three chairs before settling on my current one.