chip and pin credit card abroad

Samantha

I was very happy when the chip and pin was introduced in Ireland because I travel often to France and most petrol stations in France are now open 24h with no cashier credit card only pump but to my horror, the Irish credit cards are still not working in the pump. Very annoying especially the opening hours for a cashier are not great !!! Why, oh why visa/mastercard cannot come up with a unique system for all countries !!!!

visa/mastercard cannot come up with a unique system for all countries !!!!
I think you mean standardised system for all countries. They have. France have to catch up now!

Irish chip and pin cards work in many many French outlets. I think it depends on who supplies the retailer's services. Last time I was there (at the weekend) I had a problem with the Maestro card, but I'm finding that the Visa is pretty much okay at this stage.

Regarding the French having to catch up now - I'd just like to point out that the French had chip and pin more than ten years ago. As in...we're only catching up with them now. I'd also add that they had a nifty feature whereby you could use them in standard call boxes as well instead of buying a phone card.

What's signficantly more annoying, in my experience, is the vast number of retailers in Germany who don't accept any credit card at all.

I know, what I meant was that the older French Carte Bleue systems have to be updated to handle the EMV chip&pin standard.

What's signficantly more annoying, in my experience, is the vast number of retailers in Germany who don't accept any credit card at all.
Or [broken link removed] in this country.

my card works in 90% of the case in France but i don't know why not in the automated petrol station pump which is quite annoying, this is why I am ranting especially France are going towards automated petrol station which is great if your card is working !!!!

That's service, singular, isn't it?
While that was a singular reference, it was intended to be a singular example [broken link removed] [broken link removed] in Ireland that don't take visa. Methinks the intended referential meaning was lost in the grammatical kefuffle.
And i did do a check an all before posting so i did so i did. :D

Back