Chinese Yuan

BOI in Dublin Airport could possibly have it,

otherwise you would have to order it at your local branch

I seem to recall Thomas Cook having hefty foreign exchange charges/commissions/margins so check before buying.

Yes-on the basis they supply more of the exotic currencies I guess-it was the only place I could find Croatian Kuna before travelling.

Might also be an option not to bother getting cash and just withdraw cash over there when you arrive using a preloaded credit card or an ATM card (e.g. Cirrus)etc. That's what I normally do when travelling outside of the euro zone these days.

Indeed-but I find that it's never any harm to have some hard cash in local currency on you when you arrive, just in case etc.

No but if you're arriving at an airport then the chances of not being able to get or change money before heading onwards are marginal.

The banks should supply it - just order it well in advance. (I acutally can't remember where I got mine from). There are loads of ATMs in Beijing so you should have any problem withdrawing cash. It works out that 1 euro is the equivalent of 10 yuan.
Don't do what I did, withdraw alot of the currency after being told it would be accepted in Hong Kong only to find that it wasn't accepted when I got there. It's HK dollar there. I was screwed on the exchange rate.

There's loads of ATMs there alright, however not all of them on the streets take international cards ... as I recall the only ones you can always count on are "Bank of China" (and western banks like Citibank).

I wouldn't bother going to too much trouble/expense getting cash before you travel anyway - Chinese airports are excellently equipped (most of them would put nearly any European airport to shame) and you'll have no problem getting ATMs to give you cash on arrival

As the EvilDr says, there's a foreign exchange machine in Beijing airport, in the luggage claim area, which will exchange euro, sterling, dollars into yuan. The hotels I stayed in in 2004 exchanged at decent rates too. Think we were advised to bring sterling (but travelled with a UK company so they would say that!!). I got no yuan before I travelled, but found no difficulty in getting them while there. There might be a limit to the amount of yuan you can bring in/out anyway?

Might also be an option not to bother getting cash and just withdraw cash over there when you arrive using a preloaded credit card or an ATM card (e.g. Cirrus)etc. That's what I normally do when travelling outside of the euro zone these days.

Using the ATM card is a real lottery over there. Some machines accept some cards but its impossible to tell which ones. I used an Ulster Bank card that worked in a machine that would not accept a BOI card. Did not try credit cards but they should work fine. As previous posters said there is absolutely no problem at any of the international airports or hotels. No need to go to the hassle of pre-ordering currency.

Back