China - Suitable for Mature Travellers?

WarrenBuffet

My wife and I have often spoken about heading to China for a few months travelling. (We will be both retired this summer). I have bought the lonely planet, read wiki travel etc so i have done a nice bit of research.

However, despite all my work, I have one nagging question - just how bad is the hustle and bustle of a country with over 1 billion people? Will it be more of a slog than a holiday?

Thanks

What kinds of places have you visited before? This will have a bearing on your ability to adapt. Also what kind of trip is it, are you slumming it or travelling like a Westerner? Have you travelled independently before?

I often find no matter what the destination it is the traveller's own adaptibility or lack thereof which decides whether or not the trip will be a joy or a grind. Travellers who don't adapt often foist the blame upon the destination.

Considering you have already thought of it possibly turning into a slog simply because of the hustle and bustle, then maybe the trip is not for you.

If all of this is new to you then maybe a test trip to somewhere like Bangkok or Hong Kong might be a good test bed.

I visited China a few years ago, as part of an organised tour. The ages of my fellow travellers ranged from mid-30s to mid-70s, and everyone enjoyed it immensely!

Although being in a tour group can be a bit regimented at times, it was ideal for China (in my opinion) because of the language barrier and my unadventurous nature!! The tour guides arranged everything from entry tickets at attractions to dealing with visas and documentation at airports. The tour package was full board too, and the restaurants were specially selected to cater for Western palates, so it was "westernised Chinese" food.

I travelled with www.travelsphere.co.uk

are you really warren buffet? if so you will have no problems