China: do you need a Visa?

brian.mobile

Hey,

A young man asked me this Q today, do you need a Visa for China?

Presume it's through the Embassey in Dub?

BM

Brian,
yes a visa is required, you can get a 30 day visa but there is a limit on its validity (final date of entry to China) so be conscious of your intended travel dates when you are applying.

Brian,
yes a visa is required, you can get a 30 day visa but there is a limit on its validity (final date of entry to China) so be conscious of your intended travel dates when you are applying.

It takes one full passport page

Phew. Gald I asked. He's leaving in 4 weeks.

Does anyone know what channels one has to go through to get a VISA for China???

BM

You need to apply in person or someone else can go in on your behalf i..e. you can't apply by post. There are usually lengthy queues so it pays to get in as early as you can. The Embassy is in Ailesbury Road. You get a ticket and have to go back to collect your visa - usually takes a few days. Pay cash on collection

Brian, if your friend is in a rush you can do a same day application but this costs more and you'll have to arrange in advance.
Bring a couple of photographs and copies of airline tickets to the embassy.
If your friend is planning on travelling around China worthwhile applying for a double entry visa so he can leave to visit Hong Kong etc without having to apply for another visa to get back in. Small additional charge.
If friend planning on working or doing a spot of journalistic work while in China the visa application is different.
They've made some changes at the embassy recently , queues arent as big and the process is relatively straightforward. 4 weeks is plenty of time to get the visa.
If you're outside Dublin there are service who will apply on your behalf (you dont have to go there in person yourself but someone does -they dont accept applications in the post) ... for a fee!

€30 for a single entry visa now ... (went up from 1st August)

Never had any major queues when I dropped to the embassy to drop off the passport / pick it up again ... takes one week unless you pay extra to get the visa faster.

I think it's cheap and easy to pick up a visa in Hong Kong if you're going there first ... you don't need a visa to enter Hong Kong ... so if you're going to Hong Kong before moving onto mainland China then you can get your visa in HK easily I believe.

Waiting untill you get to China is not a good idea I met people that were charged up to $800 dollars in Hong Kong to cross in to mainland China.

Get it in Dublin it is the easiest way, I got a three month one for €17 last year and avoided the hassle of hanging around in the Embassy or being ripped off.

If you intend to travel in by train be sure and book your ticket in advance as if you arrive in Kwoolon station thinking you can hop on the train no joy it is booked up in advance

Have a safe trip

Mrs M

Yes BM you can have someone else apply on your behalf , they just have to bring it into the office and/or collect it.
You can get visa's in hong kong at the border but will only be for 5 days. If you need longer you'll need to go the the embassy in HK or employ an agent in HK - trust me Ailesbury Rd a much better option!
Contact the excellent Ireland China Assocation (www.irelandchina.org) -they provide a visa service.

Back