Chill out self catering break on/near beach in Ireland?

Bluebean

Anyone any suggestions? hoping to go for a week in August, so I'm aware that I may have left it too late.
Ideal would be a log cabin of some sort beside a beach, but if we can't get that then some nice, self catering accommodation (preferably NOT a holiday village), near the sea and within 10 miles of a large town.
Don't really mind where in Ireland, apart from Galway as that is where we're travelling from. Hoping not to have to spend more than 500 a week, there is only 2 of us.
Anybody been anywhere special?

thanks!

Hi Bluebean

Just back from a lovely 2 weeks in Ballyheigue, Co Kerry.
Ballyheigue is a lovely small seaside village just 12 miles north of Tralee.
We stayed in the Kerry Holiday village, but this is not a typical holiday village in that it is just a group of lovely 3 bed roomed bungalows all detached from each other situated overlooking the village. It will cost more that 500 E per week for August though.
However there seems to be some nice self catering accomodation in the village itself.
If you put Ballyheigue into a search engine you may get something.

Hope this helps.

pammiedd

Got the VERY place.

www.ballinakilla.com in West Cork.

It's actually my sister-in-law's house - they bought an old ruin and did it up - it was so nice, I'm getting her to do my house next. As they have just done it up - you would be getting good condition!

House is in a very secluded location - 5 mins walk to the shop and pub (only 2 houses up that road). About 15 mins to beach - GREAT swimming area. Sailing school about 10 mins away and a good base for locally.

I am slightly biased as I grew up there!

Best of Luck!

Coppeen

How about Clonea? Lovely Beach and only a 5 minute drive to Dungarvan with nice restaurants, Youghal is also nearby. There's golf courses also if you're interested.

Thanks for the suggestions. Clonea looks too expensive unfortunately. Could anyone recommend somewhere in Enniscrone/Easkey in Sligo, Ardara in Donegal or Dunmore East in Waterford? Friends suggested those 3 places last night. I am off to search the web for accommodation, just wondered if anyone had any first hand experience in any of these areas that they could pass on?

thanks.