Childrens Birthday Party

Sully1

Hi,
Hope I have this in the right forum.
I am planning to have a birthday party for my daughter who will be four. I am going to hold it in the house. She has asked for a princess party so I have bought a few decorations for it. But I am at a loss as to what food I will need to provide and what games/ entertainment should be provided.
I am in no way arts and crafts minded so easy simple game recommendations would be appreciated!
Also do I have to put on healthy food...would some sausages and sweets not be enough???

Thanks a mil for any help, I am beginning to question my judgement as to why I suggested a party in the house!!

Not so sure about party games, but the children will be most unhappy if they get healthy food!
Preferably lots of junk (remember, they'll be going home afterwards, so you don't need to deal with the aftermath ;) )
Small children tend to have small tummies too.

Plus you need to think about making up some (cheap) party bags for them to bring home with them, if you're feeling adventurous enough

Nicola

Plus, make sure you have enough adults on board to help out...
Think maurading packs of 4 year olds..
:D

Nicola

Party games....(ideas from another forum I use)

pass the parcel with a sweet between every wrapper so everyone gets one

"dead" soldiers (no idea how you play that one!)

musical bumps

colouring in - AT A TABLE

then DVD that would suit all eg Enchanted, Finding Nemo or Nanny McPhee

Hope this helps...Good luck!

Nicola

Hide and go seek or hide and go seek combined with tag.

This has to be the best game ever for children.

Marion

Have had four years of daughters birthdays from four to eight each as bad as each other. My advice is:

Limit the time Two hours is long enough

We live in a bungalow so first year they were allowed everywhere and where one kid goes they all go (even the bathroom), they especially love to be with adults. After that they were confined to sitting room. Hide all ur precious things!

Have plenty of planned activities (bit like work overplan rather than underplan) - As your only four Iv done colouring, quiz, pass the parcel (cheap stationary section in tesco with cool little light bulb toppers etc). I always avoided musical chairs, running etc as Christmas time so no outdoors.

First year I did spag bol, all seated in dining room, disaster, some made out they never seen pasta. After that chips, cocktail sausages etc, all served in one big bowl in middle of a large low coffee table and they all tuck in with their napkin wrapped fork. keep plastic glasses less than half full as u'll have spills.

Last Christmas had planned a DVD party, thought I chill out and let the TV take over. Nope five minutes in they were giggling and laughing and out came the second half of party: nail files and polish, Had roped in plenty of help and so two orderly ques were formed or u didnt get ur nails filed. Set the rules straight away.

Nice thing I do (i think) is take a group photo minute after last kid arrives, off goes OH to chemist to print it out and each kid gets one going home.

Oh daughter and I make our own invites, print them out and stick little stickers on them.

Whats the usual amount to give/spend on a pressie for a 4 year old party. They'll all be waiting for the party bag going home, seems to be the done thing!

For my daughter's 4th party, she too wanted a princess party. My wife located a proncess party entertainer who kept them entertained for over an hour, then the party food, then it was time to leave.

It costs more than DIY, but we considered it value compared to the alternative ;)

If she is the princess of the party she should have her own tiara. Lots of pink everything!

Some ideas for princess related games:
glass slipper hunt (hide a shoe somewhere and make them look for it)
Pin the tiara on the princess (same idea as tail on the donkey)

why not make some princess queen cake,you can pick them up in dunnes or superquinn,they come with the little princess faces.one box makes about 10. chicken dippers (lidl)very good 3.80 i think. you can get face paints in the 2 euro shop and paint the kids faces.games....pass the parcel,also pick up hair thingys in 2e shop.it doesnt have to be expensive if you shop around.

Last edited:
I agree that 2 to 2 and a half hours is long enough for a four year olds birthday.

Foodwise I would have:

Fairy Cakes with pink and white icing and some smarties on top
Rice crispie buns
Pink and with marshmallows
Crips (not popcorn though as I have vivid memories of my little sisters buddy choking on a kernel at a party)
Birthday cake
Plain ham sandwiches and plain cheese sandwiches cut i (some kids do eat them!)
Cocktail Sausages
Bowl of jellies

The children will make their own fun. This will usually comes in the form of the boxes that the presents came in!

head down local euro shop and buy the treats.

musical chairs, musical statues.

face painting if you know someone who can do it.

2 hours is perfect for a 4 yr old.

Re face painting...
I wouldn't, honestly: I've seen several children of friends who've had BIG allergic reaction to face paints, leads to very unhappy parents, and even a trip to the doctors, ie a disaster.
It's fine if someone's parents chose to get their child's face painted, then it's their responsibility, but I wouldn't get it done to someone else's child myself

Nicola

Musical chairs, musical statues and pass the parcel has worked every time at these parties as far as I've seen (8 nieces/nephews)

Food - chicken nuggets and cocktail sausages + small party bag of sweets to go. Nothing else has worked satisfactorily IME.

I have kids birthdays in May and June, what I've tried to do most years is to have the food in the garden.
I've given up on savoury food from experience, most of it goes uneaten.
Buns, crisps, popcorns, cartons of juice (harder to spill).
I spread out a few paper tablecloths on the grass, call it a picnic then afterwards I can gather the whole lot into a black bag and the birds take care of the rest.
Mine have always loved bouncy castles so I always keep the food till 20mins before they're due to go home - for obvious reasons!
Definitely two hours is plenty for that age.

Excellent, thank you all so much for your suggestions.
I've been to the two euro shop and stocked up on a few bits for goodie bags and pass the parcel stuff.
Got a big princess aqua draw poster reduced in smyths so that can also keep some of them amused!

Glad to hear about non healthy stuff - was reading some parenting websites and they were all going on about avoiding the sugar overload and they would be disgusted if there was no healthy options and I was starting to worry. Rice krispie buns, fairy cakes and haribo jellies will be fed to all!!!!!

Thanks a mil again!!

Back