Childcare costs?

errigal

Hi

Anyone help with guiding me on what the going rate is for childcare in Dublin - i.e. someone minding children in their own home or in mine.

We have 2 kids under 3 and my wife is returning to work in early 2013 and want to compare the costs of creche with childcare in the home.

TIA

If you pay someone to come to your home, you will have an employer-employee relationship and you will be required to register as an employer, remit P30's monthly and pay at least minimum wage per hour + employer's PRSI, pay statutory holidays, bank holidays etc.
The exception to this is an Au Pair who is seen as part of the family.
When I was looking in Dublin I was quoted €50 per day with meals included for one child in 2009 (for 3 days). I ended up going for the creche as I felt that it gave me more flexibility and some fall back in the event of a carer being sick or on holidays.

A Childminder (in their own home) works out on average 25% cheaper than a crèche. that's for an insured, registered Childminder.

Childminder costs

Hi there

My two children go to a child-minder in her own home.
She charges 50e a day for my youngest who is just 2 and is with her all day.
She drops and collects my son from montessori and he is with her from 12. She charges 30e a day for that.
The hours are 8.15 to 4.15 (approx). It works out at 80e a day for the two of them. This is in South County Dublin.

I know that your question was about costs, so I'm not going to go into the differences between the care a child gets in a creche and with a childminder.

However, in relation to costs, one of the good things I find with childminders is their flexibility with regards to people working part-time. I work a four day week most of the time and I pay for a four day week. If I'm busy at work and need to work 5 days, I pay her for the extra day. My understanding is that most creches are very reluctant to reduce their fees for children who don't attend five days a week.

Thanks Waves. Yes mainly trying to get a good idea of cost. Have a sense for the pros/cons otherwise but costs I've simply no idea of, so your response is helpful.

In our case it will be to look after an almost 3yo and a 10mth old for 3 days per week in Sth Dublin - From around 8 til 5 each day. Based on your experience what do you think I might expect to pay for that (in child minders own home).

Thanks again

Back