Motor Child turning 17 - how best to learn to drive?

Mrs Vimes

Hi,
My eldest will be 17 very soon and I've had a quick look at what it would cost to insure him on my 2l 7-seater car - looks like about €2,500!
Anybody have any advice on how to do it cheaper?
Also, does anyone know when theory testing and driving lessons will be resuming?
Thanks,
Sybil

We availed of Aviva’s offer in the past.

Lessons are suspended at the moment, but when things get moving again, and you or a family members current policy is nearing renewal, maybe consider getting a quote from Aviva.

If you or other family members have an Aviva policy, your child could then avail of Aviva’s €499 package for 13 driving lessons and get 6 months free accompanied driver cover on your car.

https://www.aviva.ie/lessons/driving-school/

When my daughter started to drive she got covered on our car insurance as third party while we were fully comp. We got her insured near the end of the policy (final 3 months). some insurance companies may not charge too much near the end of the policies, worked out for some family members.

Re the driving lessons with Aviva, the instructor would not come out to the town we live in but if we wanted we could travel to the next town and they could meet us there. Even the cost of driving lessons can differ between different schools.

It was also cheaper regarding insurance to get her a car (leaving out the cost of car purchase) when she did get her licence, instead of her getting insurance on our car.

Thanks for the responses guys.
My insurance is up for renewal next month so will definitely consider Aviva, that sounds like a great offer.
I think we'll put it on the back burner for now anyway, had visions of bringing him to do his theory test on his 17th birthday but this year just isn't panning out like I planned!
We have more children hitting the 17 over the next few years as well so a third car might be on the cards although I'm not always sure we can afford the 2 we have now. I may have to change my car for a smaller one, although it will mean taking 2 cars when we all go anywhere.

We have more children hitting the 17 over the next few years as well so a third car might be on the cards although I'm not always sure we can afford the 2 we have now.

Just be aware that the main driver of the 3rd car will need to be the principal on the policy, otherwise you are in danger of 'fronting'.

Just to follow up on this - I got a quote with Aviva for about €30 higher than the lowest other quote I could get (Allianz who I was with last year). Turns out my husband is insured with them too so got discount, also finally been more than 3 years since his crash so adding him as a named driver reduced further.

Thanks to all who responded, just hoping driving lessons can resume before too long.

Reactions: Leo
Back