Child maintenance

lbraiden

If a parent, father, has an income over 100k, and another parent has assets but a low income - 40k, and has full custody of the children, who the father doesn't want to see, can the parent who has custody be made to pay all of the expense for the children, e.g. food, housing, after school, education, medical, including college fees. One child has long term medical issues. The mum, who is my sister, has assets but works as a secretary. She has also long term medical issues which impact on her ability to work full time. Because she took several years out of work for the children, and then worked part-time, she has only 8 years pension contributions. The father, who is married again, is going back to Court to reduce maintenance from 850 to 400 per month, with a refusal to pay any medical or educational costs, e.g. half of college fees. He is also refusing to put all his business interests - which are easily seen from internet - in the Affidavit of means. Does anyone know how a judge would look at this realistically? He is in arrears for 18k of medical and educational costs since 2016. My sister has been unwell and unable to take it back to Court until now.

He is also refusing to put all his business interests - which are easily seen from internet - in the Affidavit of means. Does anyone know how a judge would look at this realistically?

Can this be proven? If proper evidence can be provided, judges would look poorly at someone trying to fool them, but it's all about what can be proven and not hearsay.

He is in arrears for 18k of medical and educational costs since 2016. My sister has been unwell and unable to take it back to Court until now.

Document everything in fine detail and get your solicitor to build up the case.

Far too serious and complicated to look for, or get, an answer here to that question. You'll get peoples opinions that might complicate your sisters situation even more.

Back