child maintenance

gina45

my son is now 30 and has only been in contact with his father who never made contact in all that time in any way.. he never paid any maintenance at all.. now my son wants him to pay the maintenance he never paid in his lifetime.. he has ignored his email requesting payment and has he has not been contacted by his father since he emailed him this request..can why son take any action against his father for the money he never paid .. i was only 15 at the time and i brought my son up myself with the help of my father and mother .. he is on his birth cert as his father..
is there anything he can do...

Personally I wouldn't bother. He has never been in his life & he's probably better off without him. My advice would be to just get on with his life & leave his biological father in the past where he belongs.
Good luck

"can why son take any action against his father for the money he never paid "

In a word, no. There is no mechanism to recover any money, at all. Your son needs to understand that. He is 30 - he is not a child and he needs to get on with his own life. Your son may well feel aggrieved but unless his father voluntarily wants to have a part in his son's life now, nothing and nobody is going to make him do that.

As a child however, on his fathers death, he may well have a claim on his fathers estate.

Personally, I think its a get over it situation - harsh, I know, but brooding about unfairness is very destructive. Acceptance is a better mental health approach.

mf

Forget about the past and look forward to the future, your son will have a claim on his estate

i dont want to have anything to do with his father or him either at this point in his life.. i never wanted anything from him and still dont .. but his son does .. i feel you are all a bit harsh... i was married to this man at 16 and he just left and didnt look back.. ... how can these people just walk away..where does responsibilty come into all this.. my son feels why should he get away with it..

You didn't mention your marriage in your original post. That changes things. Your son may not have any claim right now, but you may well have one. So if you feel strongly about it, you could pursue a claim and perhaps give money to your son from his father through this indirect route. Go and speak with a solicitor.

But - based on the admittedly scant info - I am with MF1 on this one; file it in the 'best forgotten about' cabinet.

How come your son only feels like this at 30? Surely at 15 he felt aggrieved by the situation

thanks mob for the information . much appreciated.. and shoestring i cant answer your question... he is 30 maybe he feels his father should pay for the years he took no interest in him emotionally or financially. maybe he feels how can he produce a son with someone and show no moral commitment to his own flesh and blood..
i would prefer to tell him to go to hell !!!!!!

Your son should respect your feelings/views on the situation. Perhaps your son has issues also (who doesn't) and needs to look at this own motivation for seeking finance from his father at this point in time.

Back