Child Maintenance- variation order

Johndow

I'll try and keep this brief if I can.
2 children both 19 and 20. Attending college in Dublin.
Mother sold family home September last and moved to cork. Both kids had to find a place to live in Dublin to attend college.
The maintenance I pay covers/covered their rent in shared accommodation with friends.
The mother said that they needed to find a job to cover their living expenses.
I pay maintenance for 1 direct to her and she passes it to them. For the other she agreed I pay directly to the landlord.

It's super stressful dealing with this individual. Can I apply for a variation order to pay my kids directly? I really can't deal with this person anymore. Technically the way I see it is they are living independently. They don't go home at weekends like most young adults and aren't really maintained by the other party.
Does a variation order cover this change. I'm not looking to change maintenance amounts.
Thanks in advance

If your former wife agrees that maintenance can be paid directly, I don't see that you need to get a variation order.

Keep a record of payments.

If you agree with your kids that you will support them directly, then do so without looping their Mum in. If she goes crazy and takes you back to court I am betting the judge will say carry on - nothing to see here. Why ask her permission if you have concerns she will go mental. Just pick the lesser of the two and go for it.

Never married.
Communication breakdown. Agreement unlikely otherwise I wouldn't be looking for another option.
Payments always done by bank transfer so always have a record.
This individual causes a lot of stress. I just want to be able to look after my children without having contact with them.

If you agree with your kids that you will support them directly, then do so without looping their Mum in. If she goes crazy and takes you back to court I am betting the judge will say carry on - nothing to see here. Why ask her permission if you have concerns she will go mental. Just pick the lesser of the two and go for it.
While I agree that this would be a likely outcome if it were to return to court , even more so as it appears I'm the person providing the most financial support at the moment I really don't want to go against what has been court ordered if I can help it.

Back