Child allowance for twins etc

Exactly... Couldn't agree with you more...

We would save a lot by implementing tax credits for working parents for childcare, and upping FIS where families/ parents who don't work require it to maintain a minimum standard of living.

This wouldn't incur a penny in costs for additional means testing (only the existing FIS process) and scrap CB in it's current form altogether.
I wonder how much that would save? A lot more than targetting one small group of CB beneficiaries I'd guess.

another 5m euro in savings when the HSE recoups the overpayments they made to staff in error .
Actually, the scary thing is that we may easily find 4999 more things....

And 100m on state bodies since 2008, when they were earmarked for closure. See todays ST.

thesimpsons; Tell us more??

I've seen/heard it a few times in various newspapers and a radio programme and just remembered it this morning - its on front page of today's Sunday Times. Apparently HSE has overpaid some current and former employees totalling 4.92m euro. Some have repaid the money but others have ignored the correspondence from HSE requesting repayments. There are 10 payroll systems within the HSE and if an employee moves from one area to another using a different payroll system they are having problems trying to track individuals. This is still ongoing.

I know if I did something like that at work they'd be very quick to forward me some correspondence - a P45 !