Chicago

Lambchops

Hi, I am off to Chicago soon for 2 weeks and want to fit in as much as possible.

• I am booked into the Allegro Hotel so was just wondering if anyone has been there or has any feedback on this hotel?
  • Best places to shop (shopaholic !!)
  • Best Places to eat
  • Cheapest/most efficient way to get around the town
  • Best day trips
  • Also as I am going in end July/August I am assuming that it is going to be warm so was wondering if I'll need a swimsuit as I think that there is a beach there?
Thanx a mill!

Yes, I stayed in the Allegro last year, very nice.

There is a Marshall Fields Dept store very close, but the best shopping is north of the river, on Michigan Ave (Magnificant Mile) You can walk there 15-20 mins.

Eating loads of v. good piazza and steak places. There is a graet food court called FoodLife in the WaterTower Centre..top of Michigan Ave, near Hancock Tower, and its well worth a trip for lunch time

The centre of the City is very walkable, but the Metro is excellent and cheap. Metro also takes you straght in from O,Hare

Fantastic Acquarium (allow half a day) and a great Natural History Museum next door. The Science Museum will keep you busy for a day.... take a taxi there....as the song says Bad bad leRoy Brown etc !

Marshall Fields is now a Macy*s Still a lovely department store.

For shopping bargains take a trip out to the fab outlet at Gurnee Mills. We've always had a car but I'm 95% certain that public transport runs out to there, it's less than an hour from the city.

We love to eat at Miller's pub on Wabash (South?). Great food, fun atmosphere and good value.

I do agree to check out tripadvisor. The Chicago forum over there should be help to help with more specifics

Try Navy Pier - lots of little quirky stalls and some amusements for the kids.
Some good resturants and a cinema aswell.

I think there is a free bus to it aswell.

Two great places to eat are The Cheesecake factory on Michigan Ave. (might need to book in advance), and for great sandwiches/hot subs go to Potbellies, they're to die for! I still crave them!

The El (train network) is really easy to use and you can probably buy a weekly pass for it. It's a great city!

The boat tours are really good and go from beside Michigan Ave aswell.

We used to love the Cheesecake factory but last time we were there it was awful! Great dessert and cocktails but the general food bit was not good. Pity

Just back from Chicago and had a great time.
Would definitely recommend the Cheesecake factory, but beware, if you go and eat lunch you might not be able for a slice of cheesecake - their portions are huge. We had to go back the following day just to get the cheesecake!!
For a great pizza, check out Giordano's just off Michigan Ave. You may have to wait for up to an hour, but it is well worth it.
There are fireworks at Navy Pier on Wednesday (9.45pm) & Saturday (10.00pm) nights which are quite enjoyable.
Have you considered going to a baseball game? We went to see the Cubs play in Wrigley Field and had a great night - beer, hotdogs, nachos, the works....great atmosphere too (Check out the schedule at [broken link removed] )
Science museum is a good way to pass a day but would definitely take MIzen Head's advice about the taxi. We to the El and then walked - few dodgy areas along the way, and a long walk in the heat.
Defo bring the swimsuit city centre beaches are great.

How does the Premium Outlet in Chicago compare to the one (Woodbury Common) in New York...are the shops/selection much smaller. Also, is Gurnee Hills any good?

F

[broken link removed]

Best restaurant i have ever eaten in and its excellent value - you may have to book in advance - if so request a table on the grounf floor! Truly a fantastic place - I'd go back to chicago just to eat there.

Rant over - a fantastic city - you'll love it!

They have a 64oz steak!!!!!