Chicago

Rujib

Hi,

Going to Chicago next month with the family for 4 night stay. Booked on impulse really, as Aer Lingus had great rates to O Hare.

Just wondering if anyone out there has been to or lived over there and could give some good tips.
We are staying in a hotel on Ohio St which is quite central, I believe to most major attractions.

Can anyone recommend a couple of GOOD VALUE department stores. With one wife and three teenage girls, I know a spot of shopping will be high on the agenda.
Should we take a trip to an out of town mall to get best deals?
What is best transport method to and from such malls, should we go?

In general, any tips please.

Thanks.

Do a search on this forum for 'Chicago' there are a few threads that tackle shopping.

If you're only staying 4 nights, don't bother with a trip out of town to outlet malls.
'Good value' department stores- with the exchange rate the way it is, most of them will be better value than Ireland, especially if there's a sale on. Check the Chicago Tribune when you get there to see the ads for sales. Marshall Fields, Carson Pirie Scott on State St,. Nordstrom and Water Tower Place on Michigan Avenue are worth a visit.

'Cheap' stores- there's a Filenes Basement and a TK Maxx on State St.

Chicago will be cold in March- wrap up warm! It's a great city though.

Hi I was there in November and have to say if it is retail therapy the diso**** stores are great. We wne to the one in auroa, an hour on the train plus a taxi. The value was great, did all our christmas shopping. http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=63. marshall Fields is good as well. There is another mall Gurnee Mills which is supposed to be very good, however we didn't have time to fit it in. I found the magnifcant mile good but when you been to the discount malls everything else was expensive. Its a great city, hope you enjoy your trip

Hi

Not sure if you are there over a weekend or not, but if you happen to be there for a Sunday morning, book at table for breakfast at the House of Blues well in advance for a gospel choir buffet breakfast ... [broken link removed] = great food & music imho.

Navy Pier will offer some evening entertainment, its effectively a small entertainment park, couple of bars & resturants etc.

Cheers

G>
[broken link removed]