Chicago: where to stay, best outlet malls, direct flights etc?

MUM2KIDS

Hi

Planning on going to Chicago in Novenber for some retail Therapy. Has anyone any suggestions on where to stay and where the best outlet malls are. Thinking of going with Aerlingus, but does are there any other airlines that fly direct.....Thanks

Re: Chicago

American Airlines are now (or soon to) run their own direct service (as opposed to code share on the Aer Lingus flights).

We went on a shopping trip to Chicago last November for 3 nights. We stayed in the Fitzpatricks Hotel and couldn't fault it, great location and the most comfy hotel beds ever!! We didn't bother going to any outlet malls, just did all our shopping around Michegan, there's enough shops and malls around there to easily keep you going for a few days. Go to the John Hancock centre for some terrific views (get off at the restaurant and bar floor for a free view) and the aquarium at Navy Pier is worth a visit too. Chicago Blues bar at night is good. Hope you enjoy it, I'd love to be heading back, it's a great place, and much more laid back than NY.

Thanks for the info Moneypit, Fitzpatricks seems the place to stay. With regard to the shopping i was in NY last November and the outlet malls were fantastic, stocked up on clothes for all the family. Just wondering if there are the same bargins to be got shipping in the city itself.

Has anyonee been to Gurnee Mills, is it worth it and how to get there

What is OHare like as a transit stop?

I am flying to SF with AerLingus with a three hour stop over in OHare - American Airlines to SF from there. Is there much walking involved with bags etc?

Do the Aerlingus Airbus have monitors in the back of the seats?

O'Hare has 5 terminals. You should be flying into the international terminal (Number 5). Domestic AA flights go from Terminal 3 so you'll need to get from 5 to 3. There's a light rail system between terminals so it shouldn't be a problem. There's more info here [broken link removed]

Please doublecheck this when you arrive in O'Hare in case I'm wrong!

You'll need to collect all your baggage after arriving in Chicago, go through customs and have it re-checked for your onward flight. There's a desk for re-checking it after you go through customs so it's not a big problem.

Mum2kids, I was in Gurnee Mills before on a previous trip to Chicago about 4 years ago and it was good, huge place and bargains to be had, as far as I can remember it's about an hour's drive away from Chicago, I don't think there's a bus or train that brings you there directly which makes it a little awkward. We didn't bother going when we went in November but maybe we should have as you don't get that many bargains along the Golden Mile unless you go around the time of thanksgiving and then all the shops will have their sales on. http://www.gurneemillsmall.com/static/node592.jsp;jsessionid=a78tGTcl6Ig7

Colmcat, the airbus we took to Chicago didn't have monitors on the back of the seats unfortunately, just the few attached to the ceiling. They show two movies.
I thought the plane was quite cramped and couldn't wait to get off after 8 hours, 10 mins. Thankfully, it's much quicker coming back at something like 7 hours.

Thaaks for all the replies to my queries. The O'Hare website is quite informative.

Hi

I am going to chicago the end of October and I would like to stay in Fitzpatricks. However, i just checked availability and there is no room available on that weekend. Is there another hotel of a similar standard that people would recommend?

Thanks,
WarrenBuffet

I've stayed in the various downtown Marriott hotels:

This is on Michigan Ave, but in my view over-priced
http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/CHIDT

These are just off Michigan Ave & are more reasonable
http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/CHIWB ($139 per night + tax)
http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/CHIMM ($179 per night + tax)

Also, don't waste your money on a beat-up cab, get a stretch limo for the same price at... (book in advance)
http://www.ohare-midway.com/

Downtown shopping isn't cheap. Best go to Gurnee Mills or Prime Outlets up North, but it's around an hours drive!

For sight seeing consider a city pass...
http://citypass.com/city/chicago.html

Also, don't waste money going up to the Handcock sky walk. Pop in the side door and just take the lift up the the bar on the floor below free of charge!

Check the weather/temperature before you fly as it gets very cold as the year starts to close!

Enjoy....

I orginally posted this thread in April and only booked the trip last week...not the quickest. I booked the Best Western Inn of Chicago. The reveiws seeks OK, and the price was OK €133 per night. especailly given that it is with 2 bolcoks of Mich Ave.

Lemiurz you mentioned shopping, my favourite passtime. What the best way to get to Prime outlets upnorth. I looked up the website and iy seemded you had to get a train to Aurora. I was wondering if there was bus trip like the one from central station in New York to Woodburry Common..

Difficult one to anwer MUM2KIDS. When I travel it's on business and I usually stay in North Chicago. I always have a hire car, so it's only a short trip away to visit the shopping locations. I've never been brave enough to hire a car and drive in downtown Chicago.

If your brave enough, then a hire car is the job. It takes a little adjustment to sit on the left, but the cars are all automatic which makes life easy. Also the roads are good, signposts exist! and most importantly drivers understand courtesy which makes driving fairly straightforward.

Lemurz,

I have tried the other hotels you recommended but there is no availability plus i have tried lots of other hotels.
I am going around the 13th of October, have i left it too late to book?

MUM2KIDS said:
What the best way to get to Prime outlets upnorth. I looked up the website and iy seemded you had to get a train to Aurora.

Aurora is nowhere near Gurnee Mills which was originally referred to I believe but there is a big mall there called Fox Valley

Back