Chicago O Hare airport

RANDAL

I am flying to US in May, Flying Dublin to Orlando stopping off at Chicago. We have two hours to collect luggage and check in again, is that long enough??

You are pushing it.....I recently flew into OHare and by the time the flight landed and I got my luggage it was 45-50 min
Then you will probably have to get in a line to get out to the main area and get a shuttle bus to the other terminal, bearing in mind OHare is like a small city, it could take 20min to get to your terminal for you inward flight.

I would say you are not giving yourself enough time

I agree two hours is tight and does not leave much wriggle room if your Dublin flight is delayed or the bags are slow to the carousel at Chicago. However, if your flying on "through" tickets ie. your flying to Orlando from Dublin on a single ticket with a change of plane in Chicago then you will get your boarding pass for the Chicago - Orlando leg when you check in at Dublin and save valuable time transfering at Chicago. Once you have transferred your baggage for the onward flight you go directly to the gate at the domestic terminal from which your Orlando flight departs. You will see the terminal and gate number for your departing flight on the monitors at arrival.

Are you flying American or Aer Lingus from Dublin ? - if American then your definately on a Dublin - Orlando through ticket. No sure if Aer Lingus have maintained their interlining (transfering) agreement with American since they left the One World alliance.

In theory, it's just about enough time, and I mean "just". Although whenever I've been there it's far from the worst, it is huge. It's cutting it fine even if things go well.

If there's any sort of delay though (and you know how rare that is in travelling nowadays....) you'd be stuffed. Apart from anything, if you are running late, it won't do much to put you in a holiday mood worrying about how you're going to make it or sprinting around the airport when you get there.

Really appreciate the replies folks, we are on a through ticket flying with American airlines. Just one question though we collect our luggage at arrivals gat a shuttle bus to departures, where abouts do we check in our luggage?... is it self service?

I'm not sure how many terminals O'Hare actually has, but I was there in September with a big group just passing through on a connecting flight from Vegas.

We had plenty of time so rather than wait for the shuttle bus, a few of us just walked between Terminals. (We went through 2 terminals, think it was T2 to T4). When we got there, the bus arrived with the other half of our group about 10 minutes later. (Might be worth it if you find yourself very short on time). But to echo some of the others, it is a huge place so it would be dependent on the terminals.

Since you are on a thru ticket with AA I would not be unduly worried about having enough time. They sold you the ticket therefore there must be sufficient time to make the connection. If your flight from Ireland is delayed then it is their problem to accommodate you on the next available flight.

I'd ammend my previous comment about cutting it fine, too, given it's a through ticket on teh same airline. You should be fine. No need to worry either, as they're responsible for making the connection.

I can't recall for definite, but I'm pretty sure O'Hare is like most US international airports. You collect you luggage on arrival off the the first flight, clear customs and then drop it off at desks imediately outside customs (i.e. you're not carrying it around), but this should all be explained.

The Minimum Connection Time in Chicago Ohare is 90 minutes for
International to Domestic (US50 lower states) Connection.

Your airline would actualy not be allowed to give a ticket that has less connection time as you travel on one ticket.

When you pass customs you just drop of your bags on a clearly marked belt (make sure they check it through to your final desitination when you hand it over in Dublin). Despite it being check through you must pick it up in Chicago.

Also American will give you usualy your boarding passes Chicago - Orlando , so you can go directly through security to your connecting gate.

If you miss the flight in Chicago due to late arrival as you are on the same ticket and airline, American must assist you in Chicago. But the EU rules you are used to are not valid there, so don't expect much more than the next possible flight.

Enjoy your trip

Back