Chicago-anyone recommend a suburb on the train line so that we could get in and out?

mer

Hi, myself and 4 other women are going to chicago on the 2oth of october for 7 nights to shop/sightsee. Hotel prices in the centre of chicago are totally out of our range. Can anyone recommend a suburb that is on the train line so that we could get in and out of chicago easily enough, where the hotel prices may not be so high? Thanks a mill.

Re: where to stay in chicago - help!!!!!

Lincoln Park might suit. Nice enough area a short distance north of downtown and easily accesible. Not sure how much the hotels will cost there but will be cheaper than downtown. Some hotels here

As an example looks to be a nice hotel for €75 pps

have you tried tripadvisor? this place seems ok.
[broken link removed]

thanks a million, have checked out the hotels on city inn but they dont have what we need. I've been on trip advisor every day!!! Looks like we'll have to book somewhere like skokie and commute.

Perhaps if you posted your budget/requirements we might find somewhere closer. Skokie isn't that far out but there are hundreds of hotels closer to the center.

we are willing to pay up to 600 euro each for the week, thanks a million

oh sorry forgot to add that we'd like three rooms if possible and twin beds rather than just one bed per room!

Try looking at www.chicagotraveler.com. Evanston is an easy suburb as it is home to Northwestern University and should have loads of budget hotel options as well as being easily accessible from the city. There's a hotel called the Seneca bang in the centre of the Magnificent Mile where I stayed 4 to a room for a hen weekend a couple years ago. The rooms are huge with a separate living area, so you could probably request an extra bed for a minimal charge to accommodate your group for a budget price. I remember the rates being very affordable and not having to pay for cabs, etc. is a big bonus to staying in the city compared to traveling in and out. The Metra is the rail system for the suburbs: www.metrarail.com, and looking at the map and comparing to hotels will help you make your decisions. Also, is the Chicago Transit Authority site which has all the information for transport links there. For shopping, be sure to hit Michigan Ave (the Magnificent Mile) and State Street as well as Lincoln Park. But if you have time and energy, try to make it to Gurnee Mills outlet mall. Outlet shopping is perhaps the best reason to go on a shopping excursion and Gurnee is one of the biggest. It's a ways outside the city, but ask at the hotel for tips to get there if you can. Good luck and enjoy the Windy City!

P.S. I just saw your reply there that you want three rooms and twin beds in each room. That's going to elevate your costs - already, that means two per room, plus one single. American hotels generally have two double beds per room for double rooms, which means if you're willing to share, you could fit 4 people in one room. For your budget, I think you're going to have to consider that.

This http://ireland.hotels.com/pageDetails.do?viewTab=photos&destinationId=0A76BCAC-47C9-49D9-8F2D-B164A6E568D4&hotelId=143237&arrivalDate=20/10/2007&departureDate=27/10/2007&numberOfRooms=3&adultsPerRoom=2,2,1&childrenPerRoom=0,0,0 (travellodge) seems to be within your budget and is opposite Grant Park so v. central. No idea what the hotel is like.

I was in Chicago a couple of years and even in the middle of the winter it was still really expensive.

I ended up staying at the YHA Hostel which is fairly central; I know that hostels are not everybody's cup of tea but this place is great. Rooms come in beds of 6 so you will be able to book a private room and at least you will have your privacy; quite cheap too.

Congress Plaza Hotel, South Michegan, nice in an old style Gresham sense, have stayed there many time, large rooms, centrally located, rooms / beds clean although could do with a lick of paint, go for the lakeview rooms above 10th floor, view is worth it.

There's a long-running strike at Congress Plaza. It may or may not be an issue for people to cross a picket, just adding the information here so people can make an informed choice.

Hi,

We were in Chicago last month. We rented a condo, it was very modern, reasonable price and we had gym, pool, internet etc. we found it through www.vacationrentals.com. they have a few listings for Chicago and once you pick one you book direct with the letting agent for your condo (ours was www.spsuites.com) hope you have a great trip.

ps I have no affiliation to these sites, just a happy customer.

we stayed in the Essex Inn which is about 20 mins walk from the Magnificent Mile although the hotel runs a shuttle bus up for those that dont want to walk. Was a great location, good facilities and not too expensive either www.essexinn.com

Back