Cheques made out to Wrong Name

R

rthomson85

Hi, I'm new to this website, so I hope I'm posting in the right area!

I have recently married my partner and me and her have received alot of cheques made out too 'Mr & Mrs Thomson'. We don't have a joint account, and wen't to open one and they said that we can't due too poor credit (me). Can I pay in cheques to my account with cheques made out to both of us?

Any assistance would be helpful.

Regards.

same thing happened to us when we got married we both just signed the back of them as in joe bloggs mary bloggs even though I hadn't change my name. If that doesn't work bring your marriage cert down to show the change of name

Don't you just like the way it is assumed that a person changes their name on marriage.

Sign the backs of the cheques and lodge them as 3rd party cheques and tell these people not to issue cheques in the wrong name again.

"and tell these people not to issue cheques in the wrong name again."

I wonder were they wedding gift cheques? Might be a little churlish...........

:D

mf

Why not try endorsing them on the back & lodging to the a/c of your OH ?

It's not 100% correct but most banks would make an allowance in the circumstances.

What about applying to open a joint a/c in her bank ? (They may not be as familiar with your credit situation)

This is quite common & I do think it would be quite churlish to go back to the drawers & ask for new chqs.

We're recently married and just signed the backs of the cheques and lodged them. No problems but I have heard it depends on the bank/branch.
Almost every cheque we got was made out to X & X Husband's Surname - not complaining about the cheques but surely people realise that even if you are going to change your name it's not instantaneous and you have to get a cert etc before the bank will change it on your account.

Back