Cheque book charge? In Northern Ireland

Car Mad

Do the same rules apply to cheque books issued in Northern Ireland. I know that my back account in the Rep of Ireland I was charged €12.50 for my cheque book. I recenty opened a Northern Ireland bank account and have been issued with a cheque book (I didnt request it), I told the girl at the desk that I didnt request it and wanted to leave it back. She told me that I wont be charged for it and only If my account does in DR will the charges begin. Can some else tell me this is true?

Hi Car Mad,

I have a UK bank account and I have never been charged for cheque books, new cards etc. Only fees I incurred was when I went overdrawn (thankfully that was seldom!).

Hope this helps,

Kind regards

LL

I have an account in the UK with Nationwide and was never charged for my cheque books.

... I know that my back account in the Rep of Ireland I was charged €12.50 for my cheque book. ...
The "cheque book charge" is actually government stamp duty charged per cheque and the cost depends on whether you get 25 or 50 cheques per book.

If you decide you don't want a cheque book on your account, leave the unused cheques back to the bank and your account will be credited with the duty you pre-paid per unused cheque.