Chemicals in beauty products

Happy Girl

Did anybody read the piece on "the chemical way - Triona's Training" on page 38 of Sunday Independent Life Magazine?

I was absolutely amazed and blown away by it.

Does anybody have any information on suppliers of "chemical free" deodorants/shampoos/conditioners/cosmetics/ etc without them costing a fortune.

There are a couple of web pages listed in the article but the items are very expensive and for a family would just not be affordable.

Even to know what deodorants, etc. to use safely.

Would I be naive to assume that any products purchased in a health shop would be free from these chemicals?

Would I be naive to assume that any products purchased in a health shop would be free from these chemicals?

Health shop products wouldn't go through the same rigorous testing processes as 'orthodox' products, so I would be wary of any of those.

ALL medicines/health products contain chemicals, whether naturally occuring or manufactured. Many 'natural' chemicals can be just as harmful as manufactured ones.
Unfortunately, the media tends to focus on the bad-side of orthodox health products. But it is thanks to on-going research that these ill-effects are eventually found. Can the same be said of so-called 'natural' products ?

If you are concerned about the effects of certain chemicals, check the ingredients on the packaging whether bought in health shops or not, and look up any reports about side-effects on health.

[broken link removed]

The above is a link to Paula Choice website. My daughter uses these products and finds them very good. I have no connection with Paula Choice.

[broken link removed]

The above is a link to Paula Choice website. My daughter uses these products and finds them very good. I have no connection with Paula Choice.

Thanks Megan. Have gone onto the website but all the products ingredients seem to include Paraben which according to all my research to date is the "worst offender" and one of the main chemicals to try to avoid. Is anybody aware of anywhere in Ireland such products might be sourced.

Also, speaking of chemicals, you should watch out for products containing dihydrogen monnoxide - real baddy, that one.

Also, speaking of chemicals, you should watch out for products containing dihydrogen monnoxide - real baddy, that one.

Why ? Homeopathic treatments couldn't exist without that prime active ingredient :D

MsGinger wrote:
Some of my friends use the Burt's Bees products - I think they are supposed to be free from chemicals

They CANNOT be free from chemicals - they wouldn't exist otherwise. To recommend anything like this you would need to say Burt's Bees products (or whatever) are free from chemicals harmful to users.

I haven't read the article but I do think there is cause for concern with cosmetic products.

We all use them day in day out with absolutely no idea (speaking for myself) what is in them, how stringent the controls really are, whether the so called 'safe levels' take account of build up over years.

I think the day will come when cosmetic labelling will be as transparent and readable to the consumer in terms of personal health as food labelling is now. I know they do list the chemicals but no one knows what it means.

Not true, ALL cosmetics, cleaning products or anything that is applied to the skin is regulated by EEC law and everyting must be passed safe before being sold in the EU.

I think you must be referring to suplements??

Health shop products wouldn't go through the same rigorous testing processes as 'orthodox' products, so I would be wary of any of those

I don't think so. The EEC regulations stipulate that labelling should be in INCI format http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Nomenclature_of_Cosmetic_Ingredients
I agree with your point regarding the consumer but I don't think there are any plans to deviate from the INCI listing which has been in existance for centuries.

I think the day will come when cosmetic labelling will be as transparent and readable to the consumer in terms of personal health as food labelling is now. I know they do list the chemicals but no one knows what it means.[/quote]

Not true, ALL cosmetics, cleaning products or anything that is applied to the skin is regulated by EEC law and everyting must be passed safe before being sold in the EU.

'Happy Girl' has nothing to worry about, then ?

Everything is made of chemicals (i.e. substances with unique molecular compositions). So you can’t have a ‘chemical free’ product.

But you can rest assured that even if the specific cosmetic product hasn’t been tested on animals, the chemicals of which it is composed have been so tested to ensure they are not carcinogenic, to gauge their toxicity, and have been sprayed in bunnies’ eyes to test their irritancy.

Why do they test cosmetics on animals? I've never once in my life seen a dog wearing lipstick.

I've seen loads of dogs wearing lipstick staggering around Grafton Street of a Saturday night, usually with 'L' plates around their necks :D

Back