Cheekiest driver in Dublin

Gordanus

I was standing outside a cafe in Ranelagh when I observed the following: an SUV stops on the pink cyclists' box at the traffic lights and the driver gets out, leaving the engine running and the hazards on. She vanishes down a side street and hadn't returned by the time I finished my cigarette. I must say, I couldn't believe this and would have just chuckled if somebody had got into the car and driven off with it.

Can anyone beat that?

Best one I saw was the other week on Upper Abbey Street - a George Hook lookalike (don't think it was the man himself though and he was probably on air at the time) parked half on the footpath and half on the outbound Luas tracks outside the premises of Keenan Property Management and disappeared inside. The Luas came along and blasted him out of it. He eventually ambled out of the premises in high dudgeon at the cheek of the Luas driver, shouted some abuse at him and reluctantly got in and drove off. Most passers by, including myself, got a great laugh out of it.

I have just encountered the cheekiest (if not downright dangerous) driver in Sandyford Industrial Estate. She was driving the wrong way in the one-way system near Woodies. I beeped, flashed and swerved out of her way but she seemed totally oblivious. I looked in the mirror and she went around the corner ... God Help anyone coming in the right direction around that corner.

I saw a taxi driver doing something similar yesterday - U turn on Mary's Abbey to head the along the Luas tracks heading from Capel Street to turn right at the motor tax offices near the Four Courts/Bridewell!

I saw a learner driver go the wrong way round a busy town roundabout last Friday. She didn't indicate at the roundabout, but from the angle of her car I could tell she was about to go the wrong way. I beeped the horn and pointed left to try and stop her and got a 'middle finger' for my trouble :(.

She was very lucky there wasn't a car coming down the hill at the next junction, I think they would have ploughed into her.

They where all out in force on Saturday. Firstly in ratoath at temporary traffic lights we where the first car stopped at the red lights, and 5 cars overtook us at speed and could have met another innocent driver that went on the green light. Cars where pulling out in front of us when there was not enough of a gap to do so. And the final one was we where coming out of a hotels overflow car park and a taxi was parked blocking our way out with its parking lights on. We had to get reception to call out reg so we go home. Eventually the taxi driver comes says sorry to security and not to us we where there 10 minutes we told him he should have parked in the overflow car park like us.

Inching along side road to right-turn junction with Clontarf Road. Car in front of me made into yellow box on main road as lights changed against us. I braked and waited for next green light. White van behind me blared the horn at me and then roared past me, through red light, to block the yellow box - jamming up the traffic flow both ways.

I nearly spilled me coffee.

At the local spar in our village a lady parked her car across the entrance to the carpark, blocking anyone who would have tried to get out or in. She just jumped out and walked leisurely into the shop to buy her bits and pieces. This kind of ignorance is typical of a certain type of person, the world is there for them, queues of any type are for others as are signs saying don't do ..., disability parking spaces are actually meant for them not those with disabilities and anyone who points out their ignorance is an oik to be cursed at for interfering when its none of their business.

bacchus said:
I had to do a illegal manoeuvre by overtaking him on the left .:D

Aren't there times when overtaking (undertaking) on the left are legitimate and not illegal? Something about if traffic is moving more slowly than you are in the outside lane?

bacchus said:
Few year back , passed by a guy who was CYCLING on the fast lane on the M50 between N4 and N7 junctions. At least, he was going the right direction...... I had to do a illegal manoeuvre by overtaking him on the left .:D
Not sure if he made it to the N7 exit...

I'd say that might qualify as an emergency evasive manoeuvre, a cyclist in the fast lane would not be far off being stationary relative to the speeds there. The guy must have had a death wish.

Few year back , passed by a guy who was CYCLING on the fast lane on the M50 between N4 and N7 junctions. At least, he was going the right direction...... I had to do a illegal manoeuvre by overtaking him on the left .:D
Not sure if he made it to the N7 exit...

Yesterday on the N32 the driver in the car behind me was putting on his tie. He put his shirt collar up, proceeded to tie the necktie and finally put his hands back on the wheel while travelling at 60 kph:eek:

If everybody in the country was told "your'e resitting your driving test in 24 hrs time" I wonder what the overall failure rate would be..?of course, to test everyone would probably take about 100 years...

daithi

daithi said:
If everybody in the country was told "your'e resitting your driving test in 24 hrs time" I wonder what the overall failure rate would be..?of course, to test everyone would probably take about 100 years...

daithi

Don't forget, there is quite a few older folk in their 60's and 70's who never sat a driving test and just got their license when they applied for them.

I think everyone should have to re-sit the exam every ten years.

Theo said:
I think everyone should have to re-sit the exam every ten years.

There would have to be a big change to the way driver testing works and significant increases in staffing considering they can't cope with testing everyone once in their lifetime right now. (Excluding retests for people who fail)

Don't forget, there is quite a few older folk in their 60's and 70's who never sat a driving test

There are also a number of people in their mid to late 40's in a similar situation

Sorry lads - best one was a car coming out of Fleet St (Temple Bar side) and instead of turning left onto Westmoreland St, took a right, drove up past Bank of Ireland, up to Trinity (still on wrong side of the road) and cut over.

We were all standing there with our jaws open, and there were two Gardai by the Bank of Ireland who gave us all a right giggle by just standing there open-mouthed in astonishment and then jogging off after the car, which was well gone by then.

They were SO lucky that there was no traffic coming from Dame St. And this was only about 8:30 at night.

Back