Checking in Online with Aer Lingus

Happy Girl

Heading off on Fri morning and have my luggage checked in already online with aer lingus. I intend to also check myself and Mr. Happy in tomorrow online so we will have our boarding passes before we get to the airport. My question is because I have not done this before and am unfamiliar with the procedure at the airport will everything be straightforward at the airport. Is the luggage drop off area located close to the check in desk for my flight, if I decide to limit myself and only travel with cabin luggage will there be a problem given that I have booked one case in already online (they do not have the facility for me to cancel this online). I suppose I am just nervous that when I get to the boarding gate that there might something amiss and given that I am a very nervous flyer I certainly don't need any further stress at that point. Grateful to hear from anybody who has done this recentlly.

Remember that the cabin baggage limit with Aer Lingus is 6kg (Ryanair allow 10kg), so you'd have to limit yourself severely!

AFAIK, when you are checking in online, you select the number of bags you want to check in. I may be wrong but I assume you can say 0 bags here and they will not be expecting them at the airport. (I doubt AL are going to care that you have paid for them and are not checking them in!)
If you are flying to the UK or Germany you have to go downstairs from the arrivals hall to put through your bags. Everywhere else you go to the normal departure area. They use normal check in desks to take the bags and you will see they are marked Baggage Tag and Drop (or something!) You just show your printed boarding cards and id and they tag your bag like normal.

Remember that the cabin baggage limit with Aer Lingus is 6kg (Ryanair allow 10kg), so you'd have to limit yourself severely!
Good point! Mr. Happy travelled to Scotland recently and I was pleasantly surprised with the amount he was able to carry as cabin baggage and I was basing my restrictions on that. However I only realise now from your posting that he travelled with Ryanair and hence 10kg. Am keeping my options open re the cabin baggage but it would be so much handier not having to wait for luggage the other end. Will wait and see.

In regards to the 6kg limit with Aerlingus, it has been my experience that if you check in on-line and just bring one carry-on bag, the first time you meet an aerlingus staff member is at the boarding gate. There are no facilities at the gate to weigh bags. I think the 'size' of the bag may be more important than the 6kg limit?