checking in bags at airport for long haul flight

loll

Hi hope someone can help me, im traveling to Oz in a few days and i want to check in my bags for the entire journey when i check in in dublin, i am flying dublin to heathrow with bmi and then to korea - sydney with korean airlines. i have contacted bmi about this and they do not seem to be give a definate answer. trip was booked with a travel agent if this helps!!! any help greatly appreciated as i dont want to have to collect bags in heathrow!!! its bad enough there as it is!!!

BMI are a low cost airline and most low cost operations are point to point only so you may not be able to check bags all the way from Dublin. Not sure about the other legs of the journey. Your travel agent really should be answering any questions that you have. They get a cut for providing such services don't they?

Update: from the BMI website:
You may need to check the terms & conditions of the other airlines' websites or your booking agreement etc.

Yep, as Clublman says this doesn't typically apply to the low-cast carriers, you will need to collect your bags at Heathrow and recheck them in for the rest of the flight, however you should be able to check them straight through for the rest of the journey from there as you are using the same carrier.

Basically depends on whether it's on a single booking or as two separate bookings

If you have the booking reference(s) from the travel agent you should be able to look them up on the likes of checkmytrip.com and work this out quickly enough.

So if it's booked altogether on one ticket (most probalby an eticket rather than a paper one) then you will be able to check it right through to Sydney at the BMI desk in Dublin ... if it's not then you won't be able to I'm afraid - you'll need to collect your luggage at Heathrow and take it over to Terminal 3 and check it back in.

I flew to San Fran and had to collect my own bags in Phillie - It was the same booking and same airline. On the way back I didn't have to do this. I hadn't thought about it and was only told at check in.

My sister-in-law recently returned to Oz from Dublin to Heathrow (Aer Lingus) and on to Oz via Singapore (Qantas), and was told at Dublin that (for the first time - she has done this trip several times before) she could not check in bags for complete trip. Therefore she had to collect bags in Heathrow (for her, kids and elderly travelling companion) and re-check again for onward journey. I believe there was some comment re "no arrangement" with Qantas, which seems odd between two 'national carriers'. Check it out beforehand!

This is always the case in the US - first place you land you have to collect your bags for security screening.

Yes indeed - though it's customs clearance actually rather than security - you've always had to clear customs with your luggage at first point of entry to the US.

The ticket is basically an E Ticket with all the bookings on one / two pages!!!! rang them there again and they didnt know!!!

The ticket is basically an E Ticket with all the bookings on one / two pages!!!! rang them there again and they didnt know!!!

Then as per the Ts&Cs that Clubman quoted you should be fine ... if it's on one ticket as a through fare then BMI should accept your luggage for the whole journey in Dublin.

just rang bmi and finally got an answer............ i can check them in for the entire flights in Dublin so hopefully there will be no hassle at check in ...... now just wondering what to put on the travel tags!!!!