Checking history of English car

positivenote

Hi all found a car i might be interested in, but its a car brought in from the UK. the dealer has said that he will pay the VRT before selling it and it seems to be a good deal. I have taken down the english registration is there any way i can check the car out on line, its history etc.. i may be paranoid but say if it was stolen from the uk? or was in a crash or something he aint telling me. Its 56k on the clock so i was also wondering if there is anything that i should ask about the car... timing belt or whatever. He claims he'll give a 3month warrenty should i push for a 6month... the car is 2001 golf tdi.
thanks in advance, as always

Re: checking history of engish car

Yeah, definitely push for a 6-month warranty and make sure the timing belt has been changed - this is due at 60k anyway and will cost you €500/600.

Try www.hpicheck.com/ for a mileage/history check. Also, if there are any service stamps in the owners manual, pick up the phone and give the garage a call to verify them. Check the UK AA and RAC sites for tips - they can also do the HPI check for you.

Diesels are generally bought by high-mileage drivers - you're right to be suspicious of one thats only done ~10k per year.

Check to see if there is a service history. It is in the manual that comes with the car.

If it is missing be suspicious. You will find it very hard to sell on a car with no history.

If there is one, ring the garage that serviced it last.

A lot of these cars are unfortunately both by dishonest irish dealers and the mileage is altered. Cars do not look like they have high mileage as they are driven up and down motorways.

You would be much much better importing yourself. www.cargiant.ie

Good luck

Check to see if there is a service history. It is in the manual that comes with the car.
If it is missing be suspicious. You will find it very hard to sell on a car with no history.

Couldn't agree with that,i've always got my car serviced by a small mechanic who has never let me down.The service history is only ever filled out by main dealers who IMHO rob you blind for their service stamp, yet rarely do what their supposed to do.

I can see where you are coming from. FSH, doesn't always mean a stamped up book.

Even a independent garage, large or small, will be able to vouch for a cars service history.

A car with no service history is worth considerably less.

there are lots of UK companies on line that will check the history - shop around - some will guarentee their results if you can include the chassie number with the car ( they will cover the cost of the car if it later shows to have been stolen / crashed ) But remember these companies only have this information if the car was put through an insurance claim !...so id still get someone to look over it.
On line checks I think run between 20 / 40 stg.
As Ely suggested - there's no harm looking at Cargiant or similar sites and doing it yourself... (last 4 cars purchased in UK & no complaints)

i wouldny mind bringing in something from the uk or the north, but i havent a clue when it comes to the mechanics of a car and i'd proberbly have to bring a mechanic up north/ to the uk to give any potential car the once over. Aswell as this any warrenty wouldnt be worth much if you were bringing a car over from the uk as it would be a hassle to get it back to the place of purchase.

the advantage of cargiant or similar is that they already do all the checks
(approx 300 items are checked) + previous history, hpi etc.
What you see online is what you pay.... even check out the site, price a similar spec. golf ..put the details into VRT online and get a quote. Disadvantage is you cant pay deposit -just like a supermarket -
You could fly over and drive it back ( so add in the costs ) - then compare prices.
It sounds a lot of hassle - but it only takes a day.

Don t forget, cargiant will probably be 10% more than what you could buy privately in the u.k. for, if you had the time.
But everything is checked for you and very convenient, set price , one location etc
Has anyone done this and done the maths; travel costs, cost of car, vrt etc
how much savings on a similiar irish model?
Is their a price guide for all irish models and years?
I would have thought it easy to check history of english cars with so many firms offering this service eg AA.

yes - I bought BMW 316se 2002, 68k miles FBMWSH in cargiant, in Feb. 2005 - Flight I think was 85euro , taxi 30 stg , car ferry 120 , petrol 50 or 60
anyway all in all worked out at around 18,500 euro inc VRT ... remember it was over a year and half ago ... whats a 316se 2002 getting nowadays here ? ....i have also bought from private and from dealer in UK an NI.
....Im not in the trade - but cars there seam to have better spec + history etc.

nothing better to do over a cup of tea ! looking at sites + figures , reckon for 2001 TDI ( 5 door, similar miles, 90BHP ) from UK inc. all costs would cost approx 10,500 euro ?