Checking a BMW's past?

Gabriel

Does anyone know is it possible to ring any BMW main dealer and get them to check out a BMW's history...even if that car is not on their forecourt? I heard this some time back but wanted to check it out before ringing and being told where to go...

I have tried cartell but it's €40 everytime you want to check out a car!! That can be expensive depending on how many cars you're potentially looking at.

Hi Gabriel,

I know that MSL have given me similar info on both Audi's and Merc's so I don't see why BM wouldn't. If you're buying from a non BMW dealer then BMW themselves should be delighted to tell you if the car has any dodgy history and lure you toward their Approved BMW Used Cars !!

What model are you looking at ?

r2d2

Hi r2d2,

I'm looking at a 320 or 325 Ci. Depends on the car itself which I'll choose. I actually rang a main BMW dealership in Dublin this morning but they told me that unless the car in question had been serviced there they couldn't help me.

I heard that BMW gave this service free of charge from another dealer a few weeks back but he might have been spinning me a tall tale!

If the seller has had the car serviced by a reg BMW dealer he should have the cars service book stamped. Ask to see that book if he says it has a service history. Ring that dealer and confirm those services.
Obviously it doesnt take into account any other services/repairs that have been carried out by other garages.

Ive heard tell you can log on to a BMW website, key in the reg and it will return the service history. Only rumour I think.

Really, he could have crashed the car and had it repaired since the last service, so if you want to buy the car you're taking the seller at his word unless you get it checked out yourself by your own mechanic to assess the cars condition.

Yep...thanks Car. The original owner "lost" the log book and he (second owner) has a full sh but not BMW. Also not taxed or NCT'ed since last year!

Too many holes so am going to give it a miss.

I've seen another 325 which ticks all the boxes and talked with the owner who is obviously an enthusiast and knows what he has. Full BMWSH...Irish car. Serviced 6 weeks ago and seller will NCT it for me before selling it. Not the colour I was looking for but am so disillusioned with dodgy ones at this stage am definitely going to take a look this week and purchase if I like the look of it!

Unfortunately this is now what it comes down to...colour!!

Speaking of which...does anyone know how much BMW would charge for a respray if I did want to change the colour?

Gabriel,

Not sure about the cost of a re-spray but come time to sell it any perspective new owner will think it's been damaged....Re; the choice between a 320 and a 325...The 6 pot is a much sweeter engine....In ci clothing the performance is gorgeous from the 323ci and the 325ci...Plenty of power through the gears and a fantastic engine note..I had a 523se until recently and miss it like hell !!

r2d2

Thanks r2d2...yes it's a good point...but I might investigate getting it done through a BMW garage for that reason.

The 320 is a 2.2 6 cylinder btw...but there's supposedly quite a significant difference in performance between it and the 325. I looked at a 323 but I'm not convinced...it produces identical horsepower as the 320! Maybe I missed something though...

Anyway...you've sold me on the engine...I hope this one proves to be kosher.

BMW dealers computer systems are not networked, so they are not telling you any lies. A dealer will only be able to tell you if the car was serviced there, nowhere esle.
Best thing to do is ring around a few BMW dealerships in teh area and ask. They will stamp a new service book for you for free, but it'll cost you a fiver for the book

Ive heard tell you can log on to a BMW website, key in the reg and it will return the service history. Only rumour I think.

Not true

Up to Sep 2000, 320 engine was 2.0litre (150bhp), and 323 was 2.5litre (170bhp). After that the 320 was 2.2l with 170bhp and 325 was 192bhp (2.5l).
Beware of the nikasil issue on any 6 pot before March 98

Just thought I'd update by saying I just purchased (or at least put a deposit down subject to NCT) on a 01 325 Coupe. Am very happy...pays to do your homework. Private sale on well looked after BMWSH car!! Beautiful cars to drive....if only all dealers were honest and it was easy to buy a good example of this type of motor without feeling like you'd just been done over!