Check Insurance Cover?

149oaks

Just want to check and be sure of Insurance Cover.
My wife and I have a car each. This year she has been in and out of hospital a lot so we only insured my car obviously in my name. Question is am I covered to drive her car - under my insurance with her consent - when there is no Policy on her car?

My insurance policy states that I have third party insurance to drive another car, as long as that car has a valid insurance policy.

I think this is standard, so I would say no, you are not insured under your policy to drive your wifes car.

You need to have what's known as the driving of other cars extension. This will appear on your insurance cert if you have it. Read the conditions carefully. Cover for cars not belonging to you is usually restricted to third party only cover. It also doesn't obviate the need for the car to be road-worthy, have NCT etc. Your best bet would be to check with your insurer if in any doubt.

Checking your policy and phoning your insurer are the best bets, my own experience as someone looking around for insurance is that extras and perks have been stripped out of cheaper policies. As companies fight over customers and try to offer the best rates cheaper policies do not include many options, particularly cover for other cars.

The latter seems only to be part of the "premium" comprehensive cover - many of the "value" comprehensive cover does not include this.