check in online with checked in baggage

dewdrop

Excuse stupid question. is there any advantage to check in online when one has to check in baggage.

I flew recently with Aer Lingus from Alicante and the people who had checked in on-line were able to jump the baggage queue and drop their baggage off at the check in desk.

Excuse stupid question. is there any advantage to check in online when one has to check in baggage.

I have checked in online with Ryanair and Aer Lingus and find little difference, especially on the return leg.

last time I flew easyjet, the queue for normal check-in was out the door, but as I had checked in online was able to just go to the bag drop desk and only had about 5 people in front of me

Depends really on who you are flying with. I am going to guess it isn't Ryanair - IF IT IS then check in as otherwise they will charge you to check in at the airport (their desks are now called baggage drop).

If it is Aer Lingus, the main advantage I think is getting to choose your seat, leave it to when you arrive at the airport and if it is a popular flight you could well end up in a middle seat or a selection. You don't have to print your boarding card as you can do that at the machines in the airport.

For others, it depends but usually there is a value in checking in as early as you can and Ryanair aside they are accommodating about giving you the boarding card at the airport.