Cheapest way to France wine buying trip

Tammy123

Its probably been done but I can't find it! I've gone onto the websites for the various ferries - and would prefer not to do landbridge for time reasons, and its too much driving...

I'd like to do a short trip this autumn (maybe 1 overnight, or none if thats all on offer) but Brittany ferries only sail 1ce per week and Irish Ferries is coming out at about 500 euro for 2 people + car on booze cruise rate + cabin....

Any ideas?

On the Irish Ferries website here :

[broken link removed]

it works out at €99 per adult + €69 for the car (with 2 adults)

-eD

When I added the cabin to this it came out at something like 470 euro for the 2 of us.... we would have to buy / fit a lot of wine to make it worthwhile!

Would you know any Truck Driver who might take it back for you? We had a family wedding last year and a neighbour brought us back a pallet of booze from the continent on his truck , saved us a packet.

When I added the cabin to this it came out at something like 470 euro for the 2 of us.... we would have to buy / fit a lot of wine to make it worthwhile!

No offence, but you must be doing something like adding a more expensive cabin.

I tried it for rosslare-cherbourg, 2 people sharing a 2 star cabin, in october and the total price was €267.

No offence, but you must be doing something like adding a more expensive cabin.

I tried it for rosslare-cherbourg, 2 people sharing a 2 star cabin, in october and the total price was €267.

More details please, i.e. dates, destination. When I do it, the return fares come out at over 400

I picked the cheapest available cabin - maybe I need to try more dates, to get a sailing where the 2star cabin is available. Tks for the replies!

Tammy123,

I did this trip a few years ago, and got the package rates. However, their website is not particularly user-friendly and may not include the 'booze-cruise' rates. Best bet is to decide on some dates, and phone the booking office directly.

Incidentally, I wasn't particularly impressed by the wine selection available in Roscoff. At least you won't have to travel on that old rust-bucket - the Normandie.

I was looking this up also - kept coming up more expensive for me too.

Found [broken link removed] -

There's an email address in the flyer that you can contact them on. I think the 99 Euro is for specific weekends - one coming up in Sept. But using the link above, still comes in cheap enough. I haven't been in touch with them.

My brother just came back from the Irish Ferries boozecruise to France, today. Again it was about 260 euro. He said the new ship (the Oscar Wilde) is excellent apart from the car parking. They were put on the upper deck but there is only one exit from upstairs and all the other cars down below have to exit first. As well as the ship being an hour late because of the weather, they lost another hour just getting off the boat !!!

All very well if you are staying for a week or two, but the booze cruisers have only a few hours ashore before heading back. Irish Ferries should hold any boozecruisers backs for the lower deck, so they get off first. I can see a lot of complaints about that one.

Just back from the new Oscar Wilde too and having docked at both Roscoff & Cherbourg, I'd recommend Cherbourg for the booze cruise. There's a much bigger variety of wine shops in the town, a branch of Wine and Beer World and two huge hypermarkets - Auchan & Carrefour. In fact, Auchan are having a cracking wine sale at the moment and I got some fabulous deals last week.

Cherbourg is also a bigger town with better (non-wine) shops and restaurants... we've spent weekends there and really enjoyed it.

By the way, you can pick up a litre of own-brand vodka for €10.50, so add that to your wine savings and it really is a bargain trip!