Cheapest flights to New Zealand

Perplexed

I'm hoping to go to New Zealand around Easter & get flight back through Australia- probably Cairns area.

Has anybody been doing research on cheap flights for this route ?

I would appreciate any info as my time is limited at present for doing the research myself.

I have being doing some research myself; Air New Zealand is pretty much the cheapest and then Singapore Airlines. All depends on when you are travelling of course.

Thanks Redchariot. If I come up with any good deals I'll let you know & likewise please come back to me if you do.

I'm hoping to go around Easter. Trying to get 3wks hols together from work & it's not easy !

Just back from 3 wks in NZ over Xmas - got a good deal from Aer Lingus to LA and Qantas to Auckland -2 direct flights 12hrs x 2 out, 10hrs x 2 back.

jpd thanks for that. Did you book them individually or together ?

I'd be a bit nervous to book totally independantly in case first flight was delayed ! Did you do a stopover in LA ?

I've been looking up Air New Zealand who have a sale on at the moment, though unfortunately they don't seem to apply to the dates I need !

The LA stopover involves spending a few hours in a holding area, at least when flying with Air New Zealand. You can clear customs if you are in business class but it's almost more hassle than it's worth with fingerprints etc.
The DUB-LA flight on Aer Lingus is pretty basic as the plane is old with no personal screens and only 2 or 3 movies over eleven hours and the staff disappear for most of the flight after the meal is served. This was true of the four times I was on this route at least.

Thanks for that input. I'm not at all fussy on short flights - fly Ryanair regularly - but on long distance levels of comfort are far more important.

we booked them all at once via web.

Stop over in LA is about 4-5 hours each way - we cleared customs & immigration each time - it wasn't that big a hassle. The international terminal is OK, not great, just OK - in fact if you wanted you could probably get a taxi downtown and back. We were too tired so had a bite to eat, a beer and a snooze!

The Aer Lingus plane on way out had individual screens but not on way back - Airbus 330 both times, I think, but so they obviously don't always program the indiv. screen one on this route. This wasn't too important on way back as we were pretty tired after 10 hr flight from NZ and 5 hour layover.

But we did appreciate arriving in Dublin and not Heathrow, Frankfurt or somewhere else in Europe on way back and having another wait and a short flight.

Yes, jpd that sounds good.
Last time I returned from Australia I came through Frankfurt. Landed at about 5am & had a 5 hour wait for a flight less than 3hrs. That was the hardest bit !
Was totally wrecked when I got to Dublin & still had to travel more than 3hrs to Galway. Lucky I was collected as I wouldn't have been fit to drive !

Will definitely check out the LA route.

Perplexed, I've been pricing flights myself for a similar trip and I've been told that if you want to stop off in Australia, you're better off flying with Quantas as some of the other airlines wouldn't have a stopover option in Oz.

I've also been told by people that have been to NZ that you probably need about 2 weeks in the south island and a week in the north island to get to see and do as much as you can.

I've also been told by people that have been to NZ that you probably need about 2 weeks in the south island and a week in the north island to get to see and do as much as you can.

It's a much bigger place than it looks - just back from a 3 week trip, drove over 4,000 kms and got to see about 60%. Best to do some planning before you go - what do you want to see and/or do

Quantas are having a sale until Jan 31st but you have to pay in full when booking because it's sale prices. The quote I got is saving me about €200 per person...

Hey that'd be worth paying in advance. Especially seeing as I'm travelling in March - hopefully ! Better get that that holiday list sorted pronto.

Back