Cheapest Flights to New York

Try Continental, they fly to Newark from Dublin for as little as €340 return (including all taxes/charges). You can easily get a bus/train to Manhatten from Newark

Flew to New York last week with continental. Flights about 350 euros including taxes. Flew Shannon-Newark. Both airports are hassle free and easy to get through. Flights are at good times as got in to New York at 1pm and left a few days later at 8.50pm so gave extra time in city. Would definitely go this way again. If going to big department store go to Bloomingdales. Found Macy's hard work.

I flew with Continental before Christmas and I have to say I wouldn't do it again. They were cheap and cheerful but christ it wasn't worth it to be cramped in a small seat for 7 hours on a tiny plane with new screen per 10 passangers. If you need to go for as cheap as possible then they are fine but if you don't want to be miserable for the whole flight then avoid.

BA are fantastic, love flying with them to the US.

Return with Aer Lingus in May to New York, direct, is down from 532 (which it was since November at least) to 464 today and you can knock another 20euro off that from midnight tonight as Aer Lingus reduce their fuel surcharge. I dont think it'll go much cheaper than that

Oh them at aer lingus, waited till today to book the flights (thank you for tip on fuel surcharge reducing) but what have they done - upped the prices again so it is now back to 502 per person in May!!

Oh them at aer lingus, waited till today to book the flights (thank you for tip on fuel surcharge reducing) but what have they done - upped the prices again so it is now back to 502 per person in May!!

502 pp!!!!! i can get return to NYC ...out 10th May, back 21st May...for 446euro per person

must check it out again so , we are going the 10th and back the 18th!

Just booked for 842 for two!!

All the agro from Joe Duffy must have got them to lower their prices!!

Last edited:

Thats the exact same as purchasing a bottle of Cola for 1 euro and then being charged 20 euro for light, heat and refrigeration in the shop. Its bad practice and the purchase contract is with the airline/shopkeeper and not with the ESB!

The sooner we look at an advert and see the real cost of flight the better off every consumer will be!

It's not really...go and buy a shirt in New York. The barcode will say $100. Go up to the till and you'll be asked for $107. Why? Taxes

It's not really...go and buy a shirt in New York. The barcode will say $100. Go up to the till and you'll be asked for $107. Why? Taxes

Yeah but this is Ireland !

And not only that but looking at the inflation between the price displayed in relation to airline ticets and the actual price charged and relating that to a T Shirt means that 100 dollar tee shirt ends up costing 500 Dollars. Its wrong in any country. Thats my opinion .

I'd prefer to see the full price advertised...but I can see the airline's argument. They're not charging you the tax-someone else is. They show the price they charge for the flight...then government and airport take their cut.
It is a nonsense but you can see a certain logic to it.

Dude,

No tax due on that shirt. Clothing and footwear are tax free until you hit $110.

Btw, don't forget you can fly to NY three times a week from Knock.

Dude,

No tax due on that shirt. Clothing and footwear are tax free until you hit $110.

Btw, don't forget you can fly to NY three times a week from Knock.

It was just an example...not a precise discussion on sales taxes in New York State!

I've heard this before and being a 6-footer I find it odd as I've flown with continental economy a few times and haven't found it any more cramped than Aer Lingus economy (ie I just about fit). I've been on a few differently configured planes to Newark too - some with shared screens and some with individual, I wonder do they change the types of planes depending on demand or what?