cheapest DVD player/recorder - what do I want?!!

babydays

Okay, I'm a techno illiterate therefore can't seem to find what I'm looking for in the threads already established.

What I'm looking for is the following -
Affordable but solid DVD player recorder

I have a Sony handycam and to date I've been recording onto my video recorder. I'd like to digitalise henceforth and be able to play from CD onto my TV. I'd also like to edit my films on my computer so be able to put the CDs into my computer and work on them.

What should I be looking for?? What kind of price is reasonable to expect to have to pay for the above?

Well, you will need a DVD recorder with Digital Video In and Out (DV-IN and DV-OUT) for a start.

You probably need a multi-format DVD recorder, if you are going to be editing DVDs on your PC - i.e. one which ideally reads and writes to DVD-R and DVD+R, or at least, will write to DVD+R (more compatible with home DVD players) and will read DVD-R (more compatible with PCs).

I would say you are looking at 300 squid for a reputable make and model.

You might also consider if it is worth paying more (500 squid) for a model with a hard drive built-in, so that you can record to the hard disk and archive to DVD later. If you plan to record a lot of TV, then the HDD option is a good one. Saves you overwriting already-recorded material or running out of tape.

If paying this kind of money, you would be as well to look for Dual Layer DVD recording capability, i.e. so you can fit 9.4GB on a single (albeit more expensive) DVD disc instead of "just" 4.7GB (or just 2 hours at Standard Play).

And the answer, according to Monsieur Bond's specifications is the DVD Recorder that I purchased a month ago on Pixmania.com - the Sony HX710 for just over Eur520 with a 160gig hard drive. The only thing I can't confirm is DV out - I doubt most dvd recorders have this - just edit it on the hard drive and then burn back to a dvd r.

A fantastic model, simple interface and sony quality.

[broken link removed]at Lidl from next Monday...
Not sure how it compares to the Sony model mentioned, but a 3-year guarantee is a considerable advantage!

DrMoriarty said:
[broken link removed]at Lidl from next Monday...
Not sure how it compares to the Sony model mentioned, but a 3-year guarantee is a considerable advantage!

The Sony hard disk recorders consistently get very good reviews from What Hi Fi for build quality. I would pay the extra for the Sony over a no-brand. You may be ok with the no-brand, or you may live to regret the savings!

The model mentioned below on Pixmania does look like a very good buy.

(Although it doesn't have HDMI output as far as I know, which is a requirement for me as I have a 32inch widescreen TV and intend - eventually! - buying a 32 or 42 inch LCD or Plasma with HDMI input.)

PS Podgeandrodge - you are correct, DV-IN is more important on a DVD recorder even though some models have In and Out.

Actually the lower spec Sony model, the HX510 - the 80 gig version WITHOUT DV in, is on sale in Dixons and Sony Dublin for Eur599!! So Pixmania offering is fantastic!

Hi All,

I have been looking at buying a DVD recorder, but one of the first things I want to use it for is transfering old VHS family home movies onto DVD. However, reviews suggest for this you really need " Time Based Correctors " whatever these may be. Does anyone know if this is in the Sony Recorder mentioned or indeed has anyone done this and been happy with the transfer. I appreciate it wont be DVD quality coming from an inferior source but I dont want to loose quality in the process if at all possible. Any recommendations on a DVD recorder to do this?

Thanks a million
Blarney

I thought time based correctors were something to do with fixing the quality of the original images i.e what's on the VHS. If your VHS tapes are in good nick, you can do a fine copy with the Sony as I have already done. Of course, it can't be better than the original recording.... mind you it did look better..!