Cheap wireless router required to work with NTL

westernone

Can anyone recommend a cheap wireless broadband router, which works with NTL? and where I might procure such an item

I use a compact Linksys router with NTL which works great

[broken link removed]

It's a tenner dearer than the normal sized ones so it's just a case of how much space you have spare.

Podgeandrodge,

I've seen you posting about VOIP also. Can you use this router for DECT or normal phone? aswell as a bit of networking?

You can get that linksys in elara for nearly 20e less. least I think its the same one. if youre in dublin, pick up yourself to save yourself a tenner delivery. Normal delivery in 2-3 days.

mmclo said:
Podgeandrodge,

I've seen you posting about VOIP also. Can you use this router for DECT or normal phone? aswell as a bit of networking?

Not directly, you would need an ATA device aswell. Linksys do one with this built in, its the WRT54GP2. I don't see it in any of the few Irish online places I have heard about but I know Blueface do it, so if you were signing up with them you could buy it there.

That's exactly the one you require - and you don't have to go with Blueface service to purchase it from them - simply select "hardware only" when purchasing the router on www.blueface.ie

wouldn't mind that one myself, but then I've wasted the linksys...
anyone want to buy a second hand wireless router without ATA?! :D

podgerodge said:
That's exactly the one you require - and you don't have to go with Blueface service to purchase it from them - simply select "hardware only" when purchasing the router on www.blueface.ie

wouldn't mind that one myself, but then I've wasted the linksys...
anyone want to buy a second hand wireless router without ATA?! :D

Though if you are getting it as hardware only you should sign up for the free trial at least.

dam099 said:
Though if you are getting it as hardware only you should sign up for the free trial at least.

why? They offer a selection button for plan "Not Required (Hardware or Pay As You Go Only) "

podgerodge said:
why? They offer a selection button for plan "Not Required (Hardware or Pay As You Go Only) "

It costs nothing and you get to try out their service for 7 days. If you are buying this piece of equipment you are obviously interested in getting a VOIP service so why not take the opportunity to try one out for free?

sorry Dam, I see your point now - I used the trial as well.

I misunderstood your point and took it that you thought it would be unfair on poor blueface if you didnt "at least go for the free trial" hehe

I supose it's a choice really go for the cheap ATA for VoIP only or the WRT54GP2 with the option of building on home network in the future (which I don't currently have.

yes, but having them in one machine now and being future proofed would be better?

The quality of blueface etc is excellent. The problem with SKYPE is that it can only be used with the computer on.

If you're interested in having more fun by the way - go to www.sipgate.co.uk and get an absolutely free UK landline number without any sign up obligation - so it's free for incoming calls. And if your friends etc have UTV phone service they can ring you for free if your other line is engaged. And if they don't they can still ring your second line using Telestunt. Could be handy. Costs you nothing.

On a similar note I am about to purchase a Wireless access point and was going to go with this from netgear I already have a broadband moden from BT but want to reduce the number of boxes and wires to keep Mrs fm happy - this one also has a built in print server so I can have my printer conected wirelessly to the network - My question is - the netgear access point has Super G capability; is this worth the extra money? Will super G become the defacto format in 12 months time? and finally is there any way that super G is fast enough (at 108 Mbps) to stream DVD quality video from a harddrive to a TV?

Thanks in advance for any guidance on this

efm

efm said:
My question is - the netgear access point has Super G capability; is this worth the extra money? Will super G become the defacto format in 12 months time?
In most cases it's hardly worth the extra cost unless it's marginal - especially for most (non multimedia/home entertainment) uses/applications. Technologies such as Super G are generally proprietary and only work if all equipment used is from the same manufacturer and supports the proprietary speed boosting technology. Some such speed boosters are stepping stones to standard 802.11n high speed WiFi with a view to transitioning to the standard when available via a firmware upgrade etc. There is no guarantee that such proprietary technologies will deliver the speeds promised due to technical and environmental factors.

and finally is there any way that super G is fast enough (at 108 Mbps) to stream DVD quality video from a harddrive to a TV?
What file format and screen resolution?

Clubman,

As always, many thanks for the quick reply. For me the extra cost of super G is marginal; it's only an extra €25 so I think I'll go for it.

With regard to streaming the video and what formats and resolution; the short answer is I don't know !

The longer answer is I haven't ripped any dvd's to my hard drive yet but I am wondering if it is worth doing this if I won't be able to replay them with decent quality on an LCD TV - if I was to hazard a guess on formats and resolution I would say DivX @ 1280 x 768 or thereabouts (I could be showing my ignorance by quoting those numbers !!)

efm

efm said:
As always, many thanks for the quick reply. For me the extra cost of super G is marginal; it's only an extra €25 so I think I'll go for it.
Is all of your other gear Super G compatible? If not then the extra expenditure will probably be wasted. Note also that such proprietary speed boost enhancements often band two WiFi channels together and may fall back to single channel standard operation if any standard 802.11 gear is within "earshot" of your stuff (e.g. your gear, neigbour's WLAN). In addition bonding two channels together may simply expose your WLAN to more interference. (WiFi gear is becoming so pervasive that I'd imagine that many neighbours' WLANs are interfering with each other especially when people often leave hubs configured to the default channel rather than trying on of the other non overalapping channels...). Don't forget that any raw data rate claimed by networking products (e.g. 11Mbps 802.11b, 54Mbps 802.11a/g, 108Mbps Super-G etc.) is just the nominal raw data rate and actual throughput will tend to be a lot less than this due to environmental factors, protocol overhead (collisions, retries, backoffs etc.).

[broken link removed] is a few years old but is a good overview of the technical details of 802.11 channels and proprietary speed boosting technologies such as Super-G. There are many other really useful networking articles on that site too.

With regard to streaming the video and what formats and resolution; the short answer is I don't know !
I'd imagine that for network transmission you'd be talking about some compressed video format such as MPEG-4. If you search Google for information about, say, MPEG-4 and 802.11 or WiFi you might find something useful. I think that some commercial media hubs may use WiFi to distribute A/V content around the house but I'm not that au fait with these to be honest.

The longer answer is I haven't ripped any dvd's to my hard drive yet
What format would you be ripping them to and what software would you be using to play/distribute them on you LAN?

Clubman,

I think you should be getting paid for all this advice ! - I read the networking article and found it very informative (the bits I could understand anyway) and if I understand the conclusions correctly they are saying that there is no real reason NOT to buy a Super G enhanced product; and with regard to interference it seems to be worse if Broadcom products are being used.

The intention is to have all wifi gear Super g compatible (- I have an outstanding question on the Acer laptop to see if its built in wifi capability is Super g compatible and am searching for the answer - if it's not I may invest in an separate Super g card for the laptop). I also know that the quoted data rates for modems / routers / etc are maximum possible and in the real world you'll never get close to those figures: what I'm really trying to do is future proof my wifi network.

TBH I am in the enviable position of being able to buy everything from scratch - laptop, access point, printer, LCD TV etc so want to try and make best use of the technology that is available without breaking the bank. So to answer your second question I haven't decided on a format to rip or play anything, DVD's or MP3's, yet so any suggestions / recommendations are truly welcome.

My ideal (and I realise that this is probably not possible just yet) is to use my existing desktop as a kind or media server, rip all DVD's and music onto it and then be able to play them on the TV or audio equipment remotely.

Why I hear you ask? - well two reasons: firstly because it would be "cool" and secondly to stop my two year old ruining all his and my DVDs and CDs because he likes putting them into the DVD player, or throwing them at the door or his mother etc.

I apologise for the length of the post and for high-jacking this tread and in fairness to Clubman the advice he has offered so far probably goes above and beyond what would normally be expected on this forum so thanks again

efm

efm said:
I read the networking article and found it very informative (the bits I could understand anyway)

Don't worry - I didn't understand a lot of it either! :eek:

and if I understand the conclusions correctly they are saying that there is no real reason NOT to buy a Super G enhanced product; and with regard to interference it seems to be worse if Broadcom products are being used.
I just posted the link to explain some of the background/technicalities. Note that it is a few years old so the products may be slightly different these days but some of the issues remain. In particular I would only buy non standard equipment and enable the proprietary features if there was an overriding reason to do so.

The intention is to have all wifi gear Super g compatible (- I have an outstanding question on the Acer laptop to see if its built in wifi capability is Super g compatible and am searching for the answer - if it's not I may invest in an separate Super g card for the laptop).
Try to find out the manufacturer and chipset of the built-in wireless and that should help you get an answer. There are only a handful of wireless chipset manufacturers who license their wares to the ultimate original equipment manufacturers.

I also know that the quoted data rates for modems / routers / etc are maximum possible and in the real world you'll never get close to those figures: what I'm really trying to do is future proof my wifi network.
You really need to determine what bandwidth is required for the sort of home A/V multimedia applications that you will use. There should be lots of information on this available on the web as many people build their own home digital media setups and there are also commercial products in this market niche but I am just not that au fait with things...

My ideal (and I realise that this is probably not possible just yet) is to use my existing desktop as a kind or media server, rip all DVD's
and music onto it and then be able to play them on the TV or audio equipment remotely.

Should be possible with the required bandwidth.

Why I hear you ask? - well two reasons: firstly because it would be "cool" and secondly to stop my two year old ruining all his and my DVDs and CDs because he likes putting them into the DVD player, or throwing them at the door or his mother etc.
I know - we recently had some redecoration done and after removing all the CDs from the living room didn't want them cluttering things up again so I was (and still am - prevarication and procrastination is the bane of my life... :() toying with the idea of something similar or at least hooking my MP3 player up to the stereo and obviating the need for the CDs etc. Digital home media servers are definitely something that will become more pervasive in years to come.

Clubman,

Thanks for all that - excellent idea about checking out the OEM manufacturer of the chipset will try that this afternoon.

I have also been checking out www.avforums.com which is very good but a lot of the discussions seem to specific product based as opposed to general advice for AV newbies.

If you are looking to wirelessly access your MP3s you might take a look at this http://www.rokulabs.com/ which looks kind of cool.

I got the above from a discussion on boards.ie where a couple of people seem to be doing the same thing

BTW is there anyway to spell check ones posts on vBulletin?

efm

Back