Cheap second hand car question/buying process question

Gary 23

Hi

I am changing jobs and i will be travelling only about 10-20 minutes from my house in the morning. I have never owned a car and i know very little about buying a car or what car would be good to drive that distance.
I was wondering if anyone can help me or direct me in the right direction to where i can find information about buying a cheap second-hand car.
Also what steps do i have to do in order to be a qualified driver e.g theory test then get car then insurance etc etc.

Any help would be much appreciated
Gary

Suggested steps buy a copy of the rules of the road can be purchased through any bookseller or directly from the Government Publications Sale Office, Sun Alliance House, Molesworth Street, Dublin 2. You can book a driver theory test online - go to the following web site http://www.dtts.ie/. Once you pass you can look for cars in the autotrader magazine (the magazine has tips when buying privately) or search on line at this web site http://www.autotrader.ie/ or buy and sell magazine or shop around a few garages if you purchase from a garage you should get a warranty something you wont always get if you buy private – just have your wits about you when buying private, always bring someone with you to look at the car preferably someone who knows about cars (mechanic) - something to think about. Then tax, insurance and of course book some driving lessons. Hope this helps.

Suggested steps buy a copy of the rules of the road

Are we not all getting a free (up to date) copy the Rules of the Road in our door any day now?

I bought the CD version in Easons last for a friend last year. When we install it was so out of date (old questions, Mph, feet, value of fines in Punts etc no bike lanes etc etc and was 16 bit) what I brought it back to Easons thinking the were off loading old stock. No it was new stock!, but they had not problems giving a refund for it.

Towger.

Re: buying a car, try www.carzone.ie. For that sort of driving and if your inexperienced, go for a smaller engine, I'd say. Something like a VW Polo or Opel Corsa.

Are we not all getting a free (up to date) copy the Rules of the Road in our door any day now?

Yes we are supposed to as John O'Neill, President of the Irish Insurance Federation and Chief Executive Officer, AXA Ireland Ltd said "The Irish Insurance Federation has committed to getting a copy of the Rules of the Road into every household in the country, all 1.7 million of them." but will they – depends on how long you want to wait its €4.00 to buy.

Back