Cheap meals for the austerity times we live in

That sounds nice Lex. But some home-made raspberry jam on top would be the biz.

As a child I remember visiting a school friend's home at tea time and they had something similar for their tea/dinner but it was with marietta biscuits.

I was so jealous at the time. We would never have had anything so delicious for our tea/dinner!

Marion

The blaa filled with red lead ( also known as Ballybeg ham ) is your only man all washed down with a bottle of big brother - cheap & nutritious.

No need to translate , I presume ?

My mum was brought up on sugar sandwiches, bread and dripping etc.

I must say I do like a banana sandwich.....top brown bread with mashed banana that has a handful of salted crisps mashed in. Yum!

My mum was brought up on sugar sandwiches, bread and dripping etc.

I must say I do like a banana sandwich.....top brown bread with mashed banana that has a handful of salted crisps mashed in. Yum!

Banana's and crisps -yuk!

better known as Tanora across the county bounds

Tanora and a Tayto sandwich ........

I may have mentioned It before but here goes again !

I was in Cefalu for the 1990 World Cup & I'll always remember a Cork guy ordering a Tanora from a very bemused barman in a beach bar.

Banana's and crisps -yuk!

I know, it's strange, but good! Think the salt compliments the sweetness of the banana, as well as textures. Just make sure they are plain salted crisps, not Tayto's finest!

I may have mentioned It before but here goes again !

I was in Cefalu for the 1990 World Cup & I'll always remember a Cork guy ordering a Tanora from a very bemused barman in a beach bar.

When I moved to London it was easy to identify new people from home, they'd go to the bar and ask for a vodka/bacardi and red and be a bit baffled when they got a vodka and a glass of wine

Nope, but a Tayto Cheese 'n' Onion sandwich is one of lifes great delicacies.

add some sliced apple and it taste better again also try chip sandwiches with lashes of ketchup, delicious if you feeling very hungry.

When I moved to London it was easy to identify new people from home, they'd go to the bar and ask for a vodka/bacardi and red and be a bit baffled when they got a vodka and a glass of wine

As a student I worked in a bar in London and i made a similar classic mistake.

Somebody asked me for a vodkar n a biholemen.

So I handed him a vodka and a bottle of something similar to bitter lemon instead of a slice of lemon in his vodkar.

I still got a tip!

Marion