Cheap hotel Berlin needed

Gordanus

HI am looking for a cheap place to stay in Berlin city for myself and child (one person family so needs to be cheap!) Looked at Formule 1 hotels as was advised re these but it's a good way out and no public transport to the city. Anyone have any advice? Either on hotels or things to do there for a young teenager (14). Thanks in advance

check out www.woogo.com
got a good hotel in middle of new york through them. They also provide hotels in london and berlin.... if you enter your phone number on the home page on the left hand side they will call you back straight away.
Check out my other post on woogo, under hotels in new york...

www.ratestogo.com got us Hotel Plaza on the Ku'damm which was cheap and very good value. Other option include the Etap & Ibis Hotels near Potsdamer Platz, the Ibis to the east of Alexanderplatz and the Express by Holiday Inn.

Hotel Agon Frankfurter Allee Berlin is good value ,clean and right beside a train station samirita strasse
It doesnt take too long to get into town and the train tickets are great value
think it was 20 euro for 3 days
http://www.agon-frankfurter-allee.de/index_en.html#
Check out tripadvisor for reviews on accomodation I think we paid about 55 euro per night per room with breakfast
YOu could also check out somewhere a bit less traditional on like a house boat!!
There is Eastern Comfort Hostelboat Berlin on www.hostelworld.com
or a small hostel might be a good choice David's Cosy Little Backpacker Hostel has child friendly listed ..

thanks very much for all that information! Unfortunately it turns out my proposed dates coincide with the FIFA World Cup and availability is a problem. Not knowing anyone into football, could one of you kind AAMers tell me when the W Cup begins and ends so that I can avoid it? Thanks in advance

I stayed in the Marriot Hotel on Pottsdamer Platz, for 50 Euros for the room, booking through priceline. It's the webpage where you bid for your room, I've done it three times, always ended up in 4 or 5 star hotels, for less than I would have had to pay had I booked a standard 3 star somewhere.

Excellent. thanks everybody. May need to reconsider destination given the WC dates......and I was so looking forward to it! But there's always next year.....

What area of Berlin would be considered the "smarter" area if someone wanted a weekend break. Good pubs/cafes/architecture etc

Grizzly anywhere central is fine. Around Kurfusterdam (sp?) in the westside or anywhere in Mitte should have you close to restaurants/pubs. Public transport is brilliant though.

Was in Berlin 2 wks ago & it's a fabulous city. Lots of interesting sights. I had to change hotels after 1 night though as the one I'd booked hadn't air conditioning & I couldn't sleep with the heat.

Petal thanks for that advice re hotels.....will try it next time I'm travelling.

This place cost me EU59 for two people(room only) minus 5% for booking online. It has a U-Bahn stop right outside and it's about 200 metres from Nollendorfplatz which is serviced by three or four different lines.

Exceptional value and I would go back like a shot. No aircon though.

Nollendorfplatz is full of bars, cafes and restaurants and a wonderful food market on Saturday mornings.

I see that [broken link removed] is listing this hotel @ €180 for a double for 3 nights including breakfast. can't be bad. I generally like to walk the cities while away on a short break, is this hotel within walking distance of the sights?