cheap Fire extinguisher supplier

8till8

Has anyone come across a cheap fire extinguisher supplier for business... I'm planning to buy about 10 new ones.

Not exactly for business but LIDL have 6KG ones from next Monday 30th. €20 a pop or 1KG for €10.

John

Dunnes were also selling home extinguishers for €20 after Xmas. Again probably not suitable for business use though...

You might want to make sure that the domestic ones on sale from the likes of Lidl and Dunnes etc. meet any health and safety/fire safety regulations apply to businesses and remember that the Lidl offers are often technically limited to one per person so you may not be able to buy 10 in one go!

By the way the Dunnes offer was actually for an extinguisher and a fire blanket (for domestic use) for €20.

I think for businesses fire safety regulations are pretty stringent regarding the type of fire extinguishers you can use. While I appreciate the need to keep costs down, you also need to consider that fire safety is not something to safe money on. in the event of a fire you want to ensure the safety of your staff and your business.

I would suggest approaching you local fire station and asking to speak to the fire prevention officer as to what he would advise. I have used them in the past and they are vary helpful. In addition their aim is fire safety and not to sell you a product, so their advice is independent and free.

You also have to ensure that the extinguishers are maintained and recharged regularly and that people are trained in their use.

Your obligations as a business owner are specified in the FIRE SERVICES ACT, 1981 available at [broken link removed]. More info can also be got from the Fire and emergeny services planning section of the Dept of the Environment, Heritage and local governement at http://www.environ.ie/DOEI/DOEIPol.nsf/wvNavView/fsaep?OpenDocument&Lang=en,

C

Cheers, Capaill, excellent post. I work in a 500+ employees organisation and our Fire & Safety procedures were shown to be badly wanting by a recent (free) visit from the fire prevention officer.

My own office is located on the ground floor, right next to a fire exit, but I shudder to think what might happen in a situation where I'd to direct 250+ people down one staircase from the second floor... :eek: Needless to say there are fire extinguishers all over the place, but 'approaching your local fire station' is good advice to anyone with a responsibilty in this area.

Back