Cheap fencing solution?

Beatrix

Hi there,
I need to put a small fence of some sort between my next door neighbour's front garden and mine (approx 2 ft high by 20 ft long) to replace an old cast iron railing that has fallen to pieces. It's not for privacy sake really at this stage but simply to define where one garden ends and the other begins. I will probably plant a hedge there also in time. Anyway, just wondering if anyone knows what the cheapest options are in this regard. Any advice appreciated.

If you intend ultimately to put in a hedge, why don't you save yourself the job of installing and removing a fence by going straight for the hedge?

Speak to your neighbour to make sure they are also happy with that idea and pay a visit to a garden centre to choose the hedge type - I think this is a good time to plant as well.

The hedge plants will be approximately 2feet high and you can buy as many as you need to cover 20ft length?

Hi, our house is totally exposed in the middle of a field and it goes downhill so everybody can see it from the road. Could anyone recommend good hedging which would give us some privacy but we need a lot so it can't be dear. He is thinking Laurels but they take ages to grow and only grow so high, will I have to get something like fir trees if I want to keep the house secluded?

Don't normally like conifer hedge because of its thickness, height and light-blocking, ground-drying properties. In suburban setting, it can be a nightmare because it is just too big and needs a lot of management.

However, it sounds like you're in need of it for your solution. It grows real quick and is great screening too, so if you have lots of space and need something high, it'll probably work for you.

Screening such as this which is available in Homebase?
http://www.gardman.co.uk/asp/garden/natural-fencing-screening.asp