Cheap Family runabout with low annual costs

aircobra19

Looking for suggestions/thoughts etc.

We've ended up with two unsuitable cars for our needs. So thinking of replacing one of them with a cheap family runabout. Which family car suitable (I'm thinking 5 door saloon or small estate) for 2 kids, two adults and decent load capacity for family outings and DIY projects would you reckon has the lowest annual costs per year. The cost to factor insurance, tax, fuel, servicing and depreciation. Considering depreciation means something around a 5 or 6 yr old car, but yet still needs to have a decent lifespan of about 4yrs. I'm thinking it would have to have small capacity petrol or diesel. Maybe like a fabia/polo estate. Something like Jazz has poor storage, and is expensive. But then some of the larger cars like 1.4, bora's, primera's and focus saloons seem unpopular and can be cheap to buy.

What about a 1.4 Renault Scenic 2002/2003, they seem to be well priced and very spacious. Now I never had one but they are within your budget and fit 3 in the back and have a big boot, very safe and the 1.4 would be cheap enough to run once you are not doing crazy mileage.
Another lovely car is the Ford Focus Cmax but they are more expensive but the 1.6tdci is very economical and lovely to drive and good space in the back.
For the space you are looking for you are better off with a good MPV. I am getting rid of a Honda Accord for a Cmax for more space and more economy. No harm in taking a look at both of those cars for a price etc and you will be impressed when you get into one. I swore I would never get an MPV but was very quickly converted!. We have 2 kids and they love it!, much better than the Accord for space but I do miss the performance of the Honda but I can't have my cake and eat it!

A 4/5 year old Mitsubishi Spacestar should be available for a decent price.

It's reliable, spacious and doesn't look too bad - has been criticized for being underpowered though (1.3 I think?) - I test drove one and would tend to agree on this.

But I wouldn't say it's a huge problem - lower tax obviously too on the relatively small engine.

Back