Cheap car hire in Dublin and Excess cover

Bronte

Can anyone tell me who is the cheapest car hire from Dublin Ireland in the summer. Also what is the name of the company in the UK who does the excess/super CDW cover annually called insure 4 U or something.

Hi Aileen,

I always use a car hire company whose web address is:
www.yescarhire.com
They are generally very cheap (apart from over a popular bank holiday weekend).
I've no affiliation with them, other than a contented customer.

Cheers,
Ragazza.

The company you're looking for is here http://www.insure4excess.com/ I've used them for the past two years but not had to claim on it. Cost is just shy of €80 p.a. Compare this with Full CDW/Excess for hire cos for two weeks varying from roughly €6/day upwards.
I usually use the same hire co. and the reception is quite frosty when I decline the excess cdw, pointing out (though not required to do so) that I have cover.

Thanks guys, tried both and yes car hire are more competitive at 433 for 16 days for a Vectra, which is great value but they won't accept cover for the Super CDW from anyone else. Costs 10 Euro extra a day plus 6 Euro for another driver.

Sorry, gave wrong URL earlier (gave URL for a sister co of the one you want) The correct one is: http://www.insurance4carhire.com/

....they won't accept cover for the Super CDW from anyone else. Costs 10 Euro extra a day plus 6 Euro for another driver.

You are NOT obliged to take super CDW at all. It follows that you just decline and use your own policy. If they insist that its obligatory, not only is that anti-competitive, its also possibly illegal.

An annual policy with insurance4carhire will cost you €75.95 for Europe. Two weeks with your car hire co is going to cost you €160 alone (+ €96 for second driver) for the super CDW. Maybe your car hire isn't so cheap after all.

When you get the hire car, spend 10 minutes looking over the car for scratches/marks etc - check wheels inc spare and all glass. Do NOT leave the hire compund without checking, no matter how pressing the Hire people are - any damage that is not documented and you'll be paying!

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks MM - that's exactly the company I was looking for. I believe that they even cover the tyres which often times the Super CDW doesn't .

I forgot (silly me) that Super CDW was optional so I'll do exactly as you said and decline it. The insurance that's compulsary is third party naturally enough. I'm so happy that I can do this, I hate all the fiddly bits added on with car hire companies when they pretend it's x amount per day and it never is. Also bringing the boosters with us! Otherwise I'll buy them when I get there.

Argus are definitely good - and usually very reasonable... I think however if you book with them at Dublin Airport you usually end up having to take a shuttle bus to one of the "off airport" rental lots... It's a bit of hassle, especially on a short trip / dropping back early in the morning ... For that reason I prefer Auto Europe (www.autoeurope.ie) - normally around the same price as Argus and you end up with Europcar (or sometimes Avis) who are located at the airport so you can pick up/drop the car within walking distance of the terminal

Back