chasing walls for power/ light cables?

NOAH

I want to chase walls for power/light cables myself. Are there any conventions I should be aware of? eg say I need a bank of 6 doubles on one wall can I j just chase one channel and hook all the pp's together or is there a cleverer method?

Help!

noah

It all depends on your wiring arrangements (radial or ring), ask your sparks where he wants the chases and how many he needs.

thanks for reply.

oops, i want to run the cables myself as well. It will be on rings with a few spurs. This is because of cost that I doing as much myslef as I can, unless I finally get a realistic quote. I have checked prices of sockets etc and they are a lot less than 40 euro or 50 euro per pp as I have been quoted. I know labour comes into it as well but this is too steep for me.

noah

I wonder how much it would cost to replace your home/loved ones after the house burned down? :rolleyes:

Electrics is the one area I would say you should not do as a cost-cutting exercise - you really would be better off at least paying a professional electrician to check over your plans before you start.

In the UK it is almost forbidden since last year for an amateur to do even basic wiring - I'm sure we'll get that way in the end. These regs weren't introduced for the laugh - electricity is something the amateur shouldn't really mess with unless they are very competent.

You have made a very good point but the quotes I am getting are pretty steep, eg 40 euro per power point. I have a chaser who will do cahsing for 200 - 250 euro.

I want to do it professionally but when you can buy a switched double pp for about 5 euro or less the shock of 35 or more on top is hard to take.

noah

You may be able to get a 2nd or 3rd year apprentice to wire your house for considerably less than a RECI registered sparks, then he can have the installation tested and certified by a RECI installer- this is done routinely and is perfectly above board as the installation is tested and no one will put their name to a dangerous or poor installation. Just another option.
Doing the first fix (chasing walls, notching/ blocking out stud walls, fitting galv. boxes etc) is still a DIY option but the wiring of the accessories is not.

has anyone any details of suppliers of wall chasers or are they standard in DIY Hire shops ?

Back