Chasing for Central Heating (down the Walls?)

bizz1

Hi,
I received a quote last night for the Central heating and it was my impression that on the ground floor the pipes are laid under the floor therefore providing a lot of hazzle removing the old floor boards / replacing etc.

However the quote last night was not to touch the floor and chase the pipes down the walls (from the boiler / tank) upstairs and lock the radiator on where the pipes come out from the chasing towards the floor.

Is this standard practice - i have not heard of this method before and wonder what are the advantages (apart from leaving my floor intact) and disadvantages of such an approach?

Any thoughts appreciated!

Many Thanks

the only disadvanatage is the dust and effort, quite a deep chase required for pipes, then u have to make good afterwards. When finihsed it will look good but heat may crack the plaster, the usual method is to riun pipes down the corner of a room and then box them in, u can paint or paper over the box/duct but it will always be noticeable.

noah

Hi Noah,
Many thanks. I thought that most people actually chased in the pipes these days..one plumber did quote us for an external fitting but we dis-regarded it due to the fact that he was trying to sell us an outdated (less hassle to install) system. Hmm food for thought

Regards

Rented a house last year where all the rad pipework came out from the wall and not up from the floor. Looked great from a tiling and wood floor point of view and of course much better when vacuuming. The pipework was laid in the floor but the lower part of the wall was chased to mid skirting height. Why doesn't everybody do it I thought.

Back