Charter Flights, Seating and Tall people.

DubContract

Anyone else expierience problems on Cattle planes...sorry i mean charter Airlines and there lack of leg room?

Its particulary bad if your over 6ft, spending time with your knee's squashed up againist you!

Last edited:
Both myself and my missus are over six foot; though my girt significantly exceeds hers.

We flew with Onur air and I can tell you they were the most uncomfortable hours of my life. I literall could not fit my legs in front of me. It was awful

It can be bad for guys generally as regards the width of the seat.

I think for women though they would generally have longer legs right from 5ft8 up.

If you check in early and mention your physiological predicament then they may seat you somewhere with more leg room - e.g. emergency exit seats.

I am of average height and I found Brittania Air to be very cramped. Unluckily it was on a flight to Australia! Not pleasant at all.........

thats true clubman, but what do you do when there already gone!?

only on some Airlines, BA, Virgin etc can you get seating with plenty of legroom, but usually have to go to 1st call to get that.

Im sure thats true B/babe, even women of average(around 5ft8) height would be cramped due to proportionately longer legs than men.

Some charters are operated by scheduled airlines and usually have better seat pitch (but not always) ... e.g. Aer Lingus used to (but less so now) operate many charter flights for Budget Travel etc.

At some level it's a case of you get what you pay for ... charter airlines have always had tight seat pitch (down to about 28 inches I think which is the legal minimum) ... more and more scheduled airlines are reducing their seat pitch now to fill more people in at lower fares (Aer Lingus for example) ... as people expect to fly for cheaper and cheaper this is goign to happen more and more

As a general observation (not related to this thread particularly) it's contradictory for people to be asking who's the cheapest to fly to X and then be complaining about the seat pitch/comfort ...

Always tries this begging for emergency seat got one once but told usually are kept for mothers with young children,or passengers needing help. Short people seem to get them most often as far as I do see and I always check.

Exactly how early do you have to arrive to checkin to get these ailse and emergancy exit seats? Coming back from New York with aerlingus we were at the airport 3hours b4 takeoff (pretty early)- but most of the seats were already allocated - (btw their self checkin service is brill!) Can you call ahead to reserve seats? - or are people actually turning up more than 3 hours early for flights??! I am 5'10" so have ZERO leg room on flights, its horrible.

Passengers originating on a connecting flight with a partner airline are often checked through for the onward journey, hence the possibility of being checked in hours beforehand. Though maybe Rosie they were keeping the seat for an actual tall person, rather than a 5'10" midget

There was another thread on this a few months ago: http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=20088

DubContract said:
thats true clubman, but what do you do when there already gone!?
Check in earlier next time or do whatever other people are doing to check in early remotely or whatever?
rosiecat said:
I am 5'10" so have ZERO leg room on flights, its horrible.
You mean you detach your legs before being seated or something?

CM, thanks for the great advice, never would have thought of that!

5ft10 is not a bad height(for a woman!)