Charlie Bird and his slagging on The Last Word today

Update in Mail On Sunday "I'm coming home" story. How can a fella live in a city for nine months and not make "one" friend? I wonder if he has ever considered the ego factor. From what I know of Americans (having lived there as a foreigner for about 15 years), they are hospitable, welcoming, warm hearted and helpful. So, a little bit of honest soul searching might be the thing for Charlie. Then again, we'll have to put up with more of him on RTE.

Probably the worst reporter in RTE. Embarrassing to be honest!!

I just don't get how a man who has the entire US at his door step cannot find some decent stories in 12 months.
Could he not have travelled to Alaska and interviewed Sarah Palin's neighbours?
What about Mark Sanford's scandal in South Carolina.
Perhaps Blagojevich's attempt to flog Obama's old seat was not enough of a story for him.
He could forget about visiting Guantanamo and interview people about Bagram. That's the real story!!
I am sure Glenn Beck and the tea party people would love 10 minutes to advance their brand of lunacy. At least it would make for interesting viewing.
How about a piece on "don't ask, don't tell".

So many stories. Why he couldn't get out and meet working class and middle class Americans and follow their struggles over a 6 month period I'll never know.
Even Jamie Oliver made compelling TV when he visited New Orleans and the homeless in New York.

Charlie needs to grow a pair and remember what a journalist does.

Yeah, sorry about that. This "woe is me" rubbish annoys the hell out of me.

RTE must be a great place to work. If Charlie doesn't like his job, he can just go back to Dublin and do his "old job" (his words on last night's programme).

Think I'll go to my boss today and tell him I don't like my job and want another. I know what he'll say: "GFY".

RTE must be a great place to work.

http://www.rte.ie/arts/2010/0202/birdc.html

It's official. Charlie is coming home to the comforting bosom of RTE.

Perhaps considering the week that's in it, Charlie would like to visit New Orleans before he leaves. The New Orleans Saints are in their first superbowl ever on Sunday 7th and Mardi Gras is on Tuesday 16th. It is a nice uplifting story about how a great city is finally getting back on its feet. Might just be worth covering....

Is this on top of his position as an elected TD for Fine Gael?

One thing that struck me while watching his programme is how disheveled he looked when reporting - unshaven, no tie, etc. Granted he was sometimes out in the wilds, but he doesnt look much better on many of his news reports from Washington.

Americans expect reporters to be dressed neatly in a shirt/tie/suit, hair combed, clean shaved etc. This is also the normal business attire in DC for political types etc. Its clear that his attire has prevented him from being accepted in DC and getting access to high ranking politicians. I'd imagine most DC types would reject any requests for interview based on his appearance alone. Harsh, but true.

Agree with Chocks Away. I've been to DC and know a few locals. Always found the people very welcoming and friendly. Very easy city to get into conversation with complete strangers.