Charlemont, Griffith Ave - first time buyers

L

lorraine09

Hi, my partner and I are first time buyers considering a 3-bed in Charlemont, Griffith Avenue. Can you tell me please about this estate - it is very large, are there any problems in the estate? Specifically, I am interested in traffic jams going out or returning in the evening? Also is there any problem with antisocial behaviour in green space area? is it safe to walk around the estate in the evening? many thanks for your advice!

Hi Lorraine, we rented there up until three years ago. Nice estate, got the impression there was a fairly high proportion of owner-occupiers, largely young families. Some renters, mostly teachers from the Marino Institute nearby. Had the usual kids playing on the green spaces in the evenings, but never had any problems with anti-social behaviour and safety definitely wasn't a worry. Overall it felt like a quiet settled area. Presume it hasn't changed much since.

Bit of traffic on Griffith Ave when getting out of the estate in the morning, not too bad but I was leaving early as I used to go to the park-and-ride at Clontarf. Found that pretty convenient, not sure if its free anymore. Could have done with a better bus service around the area, but suppose it's not such an issue if you're driving to work. It's not that far at all from the city, occasionally used to walk home from the IFCS on fine evenings, took about 35 mins.

Overall we liked it and would probably still be there if I was still working on the northside. Like anywhere it's best to visit at different times and different days of the week, and get a feel for the area. Best of luck!

Charlemont is a very safe estate day or night mainly owner occupied and with an active residents association taking care of the concerns of the residents. You can see the effect of this when you come into the estate. Although the council cuts grass and trims some trees residents get together and do a general clean up every now and again pruning shrubs and keeping things tidy.
Children have green spaces to play on but St Vincents GAA which adjoins the estate keeps lots of children occupied at sports training and they have sports camps in the summer.
On dark evenings there have been some problems with groups of teens or pre teens, knocking on doors and hassling some people but again the residents have been active in drawing this to the attention of parents.
There have been some break ins but I would think fewer than in most areas.
People tend to know one another in the estate.
There is no problem getting in and out of the driveway, the 123 bus just at the gate goes in and out of town or there is a short walk along griffith Ave to the Malahide road with its bus corridoor.
One word of warning. Houses immediately adjoining St Vincents have had some problems with parking and people going in and out of the club. My advice would be to go to the house you are thinking of buying and asking people you meet, knocking on doors if necessary and finding out any info you can about problems with the club or neighbours. Oh and the soundproofing between houses is not the best like many house build in the 90s but shouldnt be a problem unless the adjoining neighbours are particularly noisy and inconsiderate