Charity payments acceptable online?

Paddy

(please move this thread if I posted it in the wrong section, I wasn't sure where to post it)

Hi,

I've been volunteering for a local project here in Tallaght for the last 10 months. I've helped them develop their website and manage their own hosting and emails etc...

We are looking to add a donation page to the website to allow people to make donations. My first thought was to use PayPal as I've been using it for years on my own websites. The thing is, you need a credit card to set up a PayPal account and because the project is a charity, they don't have a credit card.

So, does anyone know or have experience in this matter? We'd like to add a donation page to the website and hopefully not have to pay to use a type of service like this, if at all possible. I'm sure there are many ways people could lodge money into the bank account of the project and I was thinking of listing the bank account details (sort code & acc number and the option to use the IBAN system), is this safe? I've seen it on a few other websites and it seems to work for them.

Any advice of suggestions on this matter would be of great help to us and would be very much appreciated.

Thank you for you time.

Regards,

Paddy

Could you use mycharity.ie?

I looked into it briefly, apparently there is/was a €500 per year fee to have your charity listed with them, plus other fees on a percentage basis of donations received. I'll look into it again in more detail. I'd love to hear from anyone who uses mycharity.ie of their experiences with that system and how it works for them.

Paddy

Some of the animal charities tell people to send them an e-mail and they will forward on their bank ac details. I suppose the thinking is that they would have some details on record if they need to check up on someone.