Charity donation in $

zag

My employer gave out Visa 'gift cards' denominated in US$ to all employees a while back. I spent most of the money, but now there is a small balance remaining which is of little value to me. It is too small to buy anything online and because it's denominated in US$ I can't easily walk into a shop and try to use up the remaining balance (without over spending on the card when the transaction gets converted from EUR).

I thought I may as well give it to charity as try to eek out the last few dollars on the account, or leave it for Bank of America to suck back up when the card expires.

Does anyone know of anyone 'reputable' charities which accept online donations in USD ? If I donate the money in EUR then I face the same problem as in the shops here - I may overspend the amount. And, no, I'm not concerned about over-giving to charity, I'm concerned about over spending on the account.

Cheers,

z

Do you have a PayPal account?

I think this will work
1) Login to paypal.com
2) Go to Send Money
3) Enter the email address of your PayPal equipped charity, e.g. for AAM :) you'd use 'burgess7@eircom.net'
4) Enter Amount in dollars
5) Change Currency to dollars. I think this will guarantee your dollar card gets billed correctly.

Darn -- I see the flaw now in this now. PayPal require you to register the card before you can use it, so they'll do a small test transaction which you need to pickup on the card statement. Do you get an online statement with these gift cards?

I have $5 odd in a Fidelty account as a leftover from some employer shares in the past. They charge something like $10 to issue a non-USD cheque. It must cost them a few dollars to send me out quarterly statements, with the balance going up by a couple of cents interest each time.

Any suggestions as to how I can redeem or use this balance (even for charity) are welcome.

My employer gave out Visa 'gift cards' denominated in US$ to all employees a while back. I spent most of the money, but now there is a small balance remaining which is of little value to me. It is too small to buy anything online and because it's denominated in US$ I can't easily walk into a shop and try to use up the remaining balance (without over spending on the card when the transaction gets converted from EUR).

I thought I may as well give it to charity as try to eek out the last few dollars on the account, or leave it for Bank of America to suck back up when the card expires.

Does anyone know of anyone 'reputable' charities which accept online donations in USD ? If I donate the money in EUR then I face the same problem as in the shops here - I may overspend the amount. And, no, I'm not concerned about over-giving to charity, I'm concerned about over spending on the account.

Cheers,

z
If possession of the card itself is sufficient for access to the value left then maybe just drop it off at one of the foreign currency collection points in Dublin Airport or post it to some US charity perhaps?

I have $5 odd in a Fidelty account as a leftover from some employer shares in the past. They charge something like $10 to issue a non-USD cheque. It must cost them a few dollars to send me out quarterly statements, with the balance going up by a couple of cents interest each time.

Any suggestions as to how I can redeem or use this balance (even for charity) are welcome.
How much to issue a US$ cheque? If nothing then get one and give it to some (maybe US based?) charity?

Back